Edward D. Lustbader, 49, helped identify virusEdward...


Edward D. Lustbader, 49, helped identify virus

Edward D. Lustbader, a native Baltimorean and scientist who helped identify the hepatitis B virus and its role in liver cancer, died of cancer Thursday at a hospital in Abington, Pa. He was 49.

Dr. Lustbader was born and raised in Northwest Baltimore and was a 1963 graduate of Polytechnic Institute. He earned a bachelor's degree from Case Institute of Technology (now Case Western-Reserve University); a master's degree from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and a doctorate in statistics from the University of Pennsylvania.

Dr. Lustbader joined the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia in 1972. He was an internationally recognized authority on biostatistics and genetic epidemiology who applied statistical methods to the causes of cancer. His research helped win the 1976 Nobel Prize for Dr. Baruch S. Blumberg, who discovered the virus that caused hepatitis.

Services were held Sunday.

He is survived by his wife of 26 years, the former Susan Loeb; a son, Joshua Lustbader, and a daughter, Beth Lustbader, all of Maple Glen, Pa.; his parents, William and Evelyn Lustbader of Baltimore; two brothers, Jay Lustbader of Columbia and Philip Lustbader of Cherry Hill, N.J.; and a sister, Sara Lustbader-Tucker of Highland. Paul F. Nuclo, a marine and mechanical engineer who worked at Curtis Bay Coast Guard Yard, died Jan. 10 after a heart attack at his Lochearn residence. He was 63.

Mr. Nuclo, who was to have retired in March, had been employed by the Coast Guard since 1991. He had been a consulting engineer at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point shipyard from 1984 to 1990. He joined Maryland Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. in 1959 and was chief engineer at the time of the South Baltimore shipyard's closing in 1984.

Born in New Haven, Conn., and educated in White Plains, N.Y., he earned a bachelor's degree from St. Lawrence University and bachelor's and master's degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

He began his maritime career as an engineer aboard the vessels of the United Fruit Steamship Co. before coming to Baltimore 37 years ago.

A commissioned officer in the Army Reserves, he attained the rank of captain by the time of his discharge in 1965.

His marriage to the former Rosemary Ross ended in divorce.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Monday.

He is survived by two sons, Paul E. Nuclo of Abingdon and Raymond L. Nuclo of Corvallis, Ore.; a daughter, Pamela A. Nuclo of Baltimore; two brothers, Edward Nuclo of Trumbull, Conn., and Raymond R. Nuclo of Dobbs Ferry, N.Y.; and four grandchildren.

Marilee H. Robinson, 63, psychiatric nurse

Marilee H. Robinson, a psychiatric nurse for 40 years, died Jan. 7 of lung cancer at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. The longtime Cockeysville resident was 63.

A registered nurse, she retired in 1993 from Walter P. Carter Community Mental Health Center, where she had worked for nine years. Earlier, she worked at Taylor Manor Hospital and Maryland General Hospital.

A native of Northeast Baltimore, the former Marilee Hughes graduated from Mount St. Agnes High School in 1949 and the Maryland General Hospital School of Nursing in 1953.

"She was proud of her Irish heritage, and her favorite song was 'When Irish Eyes Are Smiling,' " said a daughter, Molly R. Hall of Sparks, who described her mother as "very personable and a great wit."

"She also loved snowstorms -- the more the better. She absolutely loved them, and it was fitting that she died Sunday morning during the blizzard," Mrs. Hall said.

Mrs. Robinson was a communicant of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in Texas.

A funeral liturgy was held Thursday. Plans for a funeral Mass were undecided.

Survivors include three sons, Drew D. Robinson of Hamilton, Woods E. Robinson of Bel Air and G. Daniel Robinson of Cockeysville; two other daughters, Rozann H. Hansford of White Hall and Laura L. Steves of Grovetown, Ga.; a sister, Ann H. Norris of Ellicott City; and four grandchildren.

Edith Bass Bonsal, 82, owned horse farm

Edith Bass Bonsal, who helped run a Baltimore County thoroughbred horse farm for many years, died Jan. 7 at Greater Baltimore Medical Center of complications of a stroke she suffered five years ago. She was 82.

For years, she helped her husband, Frank "Downey" Bonsal, a thoroughbred horse trainer and member of a distinguished Maryland racing family, operate Mantua Farm in Glyndon in Baltimore County, where some of the nation's top horses were trained.

In 1933, the Bonsals were married and bought Mantua Farm, where they lived for 40 years until they were divorced. Mr. Bonsal is deceased.

Mrs. Bonsal remained at the farm until her death, spending parts of summers at her other home, Topside, in Peterborough, N.H.

Born Edith Deirdre Bass, she was the daughter of the late New Hampshire Gov. Robert Perkins Bass and Edith Bird Bass. She was a 1930 graduate of Miss Walker's School in Simsbury, Conn.

She had belonged to the Green Spring Valley Hunt Club and the Mount Vernon Club.

A memorial service is set for 11:30 a.m. Saturday at St. John's Episcopal Church, 3738 Butler Road in Glyndon.

Survivors include two sons, Frank A. Bonsal Jr. of Glyndon and David S. Bonsal of Shawnee Mission, Kan.; a daughter, Edith B. Dasher of Glyndon; three brothers, Robert P. Bass of Concord, N.H., Jeremiah Bass of Tucson, Ariz., and Perkins Bass of Peterborough; a sister, Joanne Bross of McLean, Va.; and four grandchildren.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad