Carolina tops Terps at OT buzzer, 88-86 Jamison's follow-up after wild scramble proves difference; Home win streak ends at 21; Freshman forward hits 31 for No. 16 Heels

COLLEGE PARK — COLLEGE PARK -- Antawn Jamison's desperation shot at the buzzer lifted No. 16 North Carolina past Maryland, 88-86, in overtime last night at Cole Field House.

Jamison, a freshman forward, scored 31 points -- 25 in the second half and overtime -- for the Tar Heels (11-2, 2-0 Atlantic Coast Conference).


Mario Lucas led Maryland (6-5, 0-2) with 21 points and Duane Simpkins added 19 as the Terps' 21-game home winning streak came to an end.

The teams traded baskets at the outset of overtime before Lucas scored off the glass and Simpkins hit a three-pointer to put Maryland up 84-79 with 2:46 to go.


Jamison then scored in the lane and Dante Calabria made a three-pointer to tie it.

It was 86-86 when Keith Booth missed a jump shot and Carolina's Calabria rebounded.

Jeff McInnis penetrated for Carolina, missed a shot and Calabria came up with the ball in a scramble under the basket and -- from the floor -- got it to Jamison for the winner.

Jamison, who hit 14 of 16 shots, powered Carolina early in the second half, scoring 13 of 16 Tar Heels points to open a 63-54 lead. Five minutes into the half, Carolina's 7-foot-2 center Serge Zwikker picked up his fourth foul.

Lucas' hot hand produced Maryland's first lead of the game with 7:50 to play. Lucas scored 10 of 12 Maryland points, starting with two three-pointers.

A tip-in by Rodney Elliott with 9:55 to play cut the Carolina lead to 63-58, and after a Carolina turnover, Booth converted two free throws to make it 63-60. That brought the sellout crowd to its feet.

A free throw by Carolina's Shammod Williams made it 64-60, and 2/3 2/3 TC then freshman guard Terrell Stokes drove to the basket for a layup that made it a two-point game.

After a steal by Exree Hipp, Lucas hit his fourth three-pointer of the game -- a career high -- and Maryland had its first lead, 65-64, with 7:50 left.


Maryland had a 72-71 lead after Simpkins hit a three-pointer with 4:23 to go.

Carolina recaptured the lead on two free throws by Ademola Okulaja at 4:07. When Simpkins slipped at the other end and lost the ball, McInnis converted a fastbreak layup for a 75-72 lead.

Booth tied the game at 77-77 with 1:36 to play on two free throws.

Williams missed a short jumper for Carolina with 1:00 left and Lucas rebounded. The Terps called timeout with 53:9 seconds left.

Simpkins missed a jumper and Carolina rebounded, but Okulaja turned the ball over at 36:8.

Booth missed a corner jumper, and when Johnny Rhodes rebounded, he threw the ball away.


Okulaja attempted a half-court shot at the buzzer that missed.

Carolina hit 62.5 percent from the field in the first half, including seven of 11 three-pointers, to take a 44-37 lead at the intermission.

History appeared to be on Maryland's side in the first half after the Terps fell behind by as much as 12. When they upset then-No. 1 Carolina in Cole a year ago, 86-73, they trailed by as many as 13.

The Tar Heels jumped out to a 15-4 lead with a flurry of three-pointers. Vince Carter hit two threes, Calabria another, and Jamison scored inside to open an 11-point lead.

Simpkins answered with a pair of threes and finished the half with a team-high 11 points. The Terps shot 52 percent in the half, and hit five of 12 three-pointers, a trend that carried over from Wednesday's loss to Georgia Tech.

It was the three-point shot that got Maryland back in the game after Carolina led 25-13 midway through the half. After a 20-second timeout by Maryland, Simpkins hit another three. Carolina's Calabria hit a follow shot, then Lucas hit another three for Maryland.


When Booth made a three with 6:53 left in the half, the Carolina lead was down to 30-23.

McInnis, who started at point guard after missing Carolina's ACC opener on Thursday with a deep thigh bruise, hit a three-pointer with the shot clock down to :03 to make it 33-23.

Maryland scored the next six points. Rhodes banked in a driving one-hander at 5:08. Seconds later, Booth stripped Carter of the ball at midcourt in a double team with Rhodes, then dunked the ball. That got the sellout crowd into the game for the rest of the half.

After Carter shot an air ball, Simpkins hit two free throws to cut the deficit to 33-29.

Carolina pushed the lead back to nine, 40-31, before Maryland made another run. Rodney Elliott started it with a jumper. A steal by Rhodes ended in a layup by Booth. Another steal, this one by Stokes, ended with Rhodes hitting both ends of a one-and-one with 50 seconds left to trim the lead to 40-37.

Maryland had a chance to get closer when Booth tipped the ball away from Williams and took a long pass from Stokes in for a seeming layup. But Rhodes was whistled for an offensive foul on the play, and Calabria went to the line for two free throws. He hit both to send Carolina up by 42-37.


Sarunas Jasikevicius missed a three-pointer for Maryland, and Jamison's layup at the other end beat the buzzer for a seven-point halftime lead.

Next for Maryland

Opponent: Florida State

Site: Cole Field House

When: Tuesday, 8 p.m.

Record: 9-3


Yesterday: Lost to No. 12 Wake Forest in overtime, 75-73.