Owens' shot in 2nd OT lifts Loyola by St. Joseph's He, Powell score 25 each to lead Greyhounds, 80-78

Loyola's victory over St. Joseph's last night was a long time coming -- in more ways than one.

The Greyhounds, who recorded their last men's basketball win over St. Joseph's on Feb. 15, 1930, ended more than six decades of frustration by downing the Hawks from Philadelphia, 80-78, in double overtime last night before 726 at Reitz Arena.


Teron Owens won it on a fadeaway jumper in the lane with eight seconds left in the second overtime. Owens and Mike Powell led the way for the Greyhounds with 25 points each, and Anthony Smith and Nsilo Abraham added 14 and 10, respectively.

Owens and Powell combined to hit eight three-pointers, three of which came in overtime.


"This team beat us by 30 last year, and for us to come away with a win tonight is a credit to the players on this team because they all work so hard," said Loyola coach Brian Ellerbee. "This team is so young, they don't even realize what they've accomplished tonight."

Powell, who was moved to point guard when John McDonald quit the team last month, forced a second overtime on a three-pointer with three seconds left.

The Hawks took a seven-point lead in the first five-minute overtime period, but Owens cut the lead to three, converting a four-point play after being fouled on a shot from beyond the arc.

Loyola cut the lead to one on a three-pointer by Powell, but again was down by three after Damion Page came off the bench and hit two free throws.

In the second overtime, the Greyhounds (3-7) made the Hawks play catch-up as Powell and Smith hit short jumpers to put the hosts up 76-72. St. Joseph's, which defeated Texas Christian in double overtime a week earlier, tied the game at 78 on Reggie Townsend's dunk before Owens' game-winner.

"It's always a kid's dream to hit the big-time shot, and I was glad I had a chance to do it," said Owens, from Catonsville.

The Hawks played Seton Hall tough in an 81-74 loss before losing to Old Dominion at the buzzer on Tuesday. And with Virginia Tech, Massachusetts and Arizona up next for St. Joseph's, it was easy for Powell to understand how the Hawks could have been looking past the Greyhounds.

"They were the Atlantic 10 team coming in here with the big name and everything, and we were the 2-7 team, and they must have figured they were going to come out here, walk all over us and go home," Powell said.