Van Murray Sim, 80, supervised Army LSD...


Van Murray Sim, 80, supervised Army LSD tests

Dr. Van Murray Sim, retired chief of the medical research division of the U.S. Army biomedical laboratory at Edgewood Arsenal, died of respiratory failure Thursday at his home in Bel Air. He was 80.

Dr. Sim worked at the Harford County installation from 1952 until his retirement in 1980.

In 1975, it was revealed that Dr. Sim had supervised an Army LSD testing program from 1956 to 1967 that administered the drug and other powerful hallucinogens to servicemen and civilians. He said in an interview at the time that the tests were without consequence.

A native of Cashmere, Wash., Dr. Sim earned his bachelor's degree in 1936 and his master's degree in 1941 in pharmacology from the University of Washington. He earned his medical degree in 1944 from the St. Louis University School of Medicine.

He served in the Navy from 1944 to 1946 as an assistant surgeon assigned to a destroyer squadron in the South Pacific and later with the 1st Marine Division.

He was discharged with the rank of lieutenant at the end of the war. He re-enlisted in the Navy in 1952, becoming liaison officer to the Army Chemical Command at Edgewood Arsenal.

Services are planned for 10 a.m. tomorrow at McComas Funeral Home, 1317 Cokesbury Road, Abingdon, with burial in Seattle.

He is survived by his wife of 27 years, the former Mary Kinnard; a daughter, Susan Kiracofe of Star, Idaho; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Donations may be made to St. Louis University School of Medicine, Room 536, 3525 Caroline St., St. Louis, Mo. 63104.

Mark B. Parker, 85, accountant, attorney

Mark B. Parker, a retired accountant and attorney, died Dec. 3 from congestive heart failure at University Hospital. He was 85.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., Mr. Parker received his accounting degree from St. John's University and his law degree from New York University Law School. He served in the Army from 1942 to 1946, working in the finance division at Fort Dix, N.J. and in other offices.

Services were held Dec. 5 at Sol Levinson & Bros. Inc. funeral home in Pikesville. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va.

He is survived by his wife, the former Aimee Rubin; daughter, Dr. Leslie Plotnick of Baltimore; son, Dr. Kenneth Parker of Winchester, Va.; brother, Dr. Herbert M. Parker of Scarsdale, N.Y.; three grandchildren; a daughter-in-law; and a son-in-law.

Sgt. J. M. Lawrence, 24, 7th Special Forces Group

Army Staff Sgt. James Michael Lawrence, who was assigned to the Military Freefall Detachment in the 7th Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg, N.C., died Dec. 9 in Raeford, N.C. His family declined to disclose the cause of death. He was 24.

Born in LaPlata on Sept. 3, 1971, he entered the military six years ago. He lived in Raeford while he was stationed at Fort Bragg. When not performing military duties, Mr. Lawrence managed and played for the Fort Bragg Lacrosse Club.

Services will be conducted at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Memorial Chapel in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va. A burial with full military honors will follow at the cemetery.

He is survived by his wife, Lara M. C. Lawrence; father and stepmother, James R. and Judy K. Lawrence of Fredericksburg, Va.; mother and stepfather, Sandra L. and Frank A. deChurch of Woodbine; and two sisters, Jennifer Grabowski of Wilmington, Del.; and Sharon Lawrence of Fredericksburg, Va.

Memorial donations can be made to any of the Disabled American Veterans associations.

Dixie Stephens, 74, homemaker, W.Va. native

Dixie Stephens, a homemaker who lived in Baltimore for 43 years, died Thursday of heart failure in Austin, Texas, where she had moved two years ago to be with her son and his family. She was 74.

Mrs. Stephens was born in Bradshaw, W.Va., where she attended public schools. In the early 1950s, she moved to Baltimore. Two years later, she met Robert Stephens, the man who would be her husband of 49 years. He died two years ago.

Services for Mrs. Stephens were held yesterday at Cook-Walden Chapel of the Hills in Austin.

She is survived by her son, Robert Stephens II of Austin; and two granddaughters.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad