Don’t miss Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard guest bartend at the first Brews & O’s event June 10th. Get your tickets today!

Slain man had criminal record Baltimore resident shot by police was linked to '90 slaying


Ronald Delroy Chisley, shot dead by Anne Arundel County police during an attempted robbery Saturday morning, was a one-time first-degree murder defendant and small-time criminal, according to police and court records.

Mr. Chisley, 28, of the 200 block of Beale Court in Baltimore, died at 12:20 p.m. at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center at University Hospital. He was shot once in the chest about 4:12 a.m. at Ed's Shell Service Center, 103 Mountain Road.

The officer who shot him was assigned to administrative duties while internal affairs investigates the incident, police said.

Five years ago, Mr. Chisley was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the July 7, 1990, slaying of Shoukat Wakis "Sam" Khan of Severn. Mr. Khan, 45, of the 1800 block of Arwell Court, was beaten to death. His body was found in the bedroom of his home, according to police records.

Mr. Chisley spent a year in jail on the murder charge before pleading guilty to being an accessory after the fact to robbery. He received five years' probation and was sent to a 28-day in-patient drug treatment program.

"My guess is, this person was somehow involved with this murder and was convicted on an appropriate charge and received an appropriate sentence," said Frank Weathersbee, county state's attorney. "We didn't have the evidence to show that he was a principal in the murder."

Debra Rausch, 43, the gas station employee injured during Saturday's robbery attempt, said she was "shocked" when she heard about Mr. Chisley's record.

"It frightens you," Mrs. Rausch said. "It makes you wonder how many more people have records like this and are out there. You have no idea."

Barely a year after pleading guilty to the robbery charge, Mr. Chisley was charged with violating probation. On Sept. 3, 1992, he received 18 months in jail for malicious destruction of property over $300 and one count of breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony.

Last May, he was charged with theft over $300.

Although Mrs. Rausch has been through six robberies in the four years she has worked at the gas station, she said she would continue to give customers the benefit of the doubt.

"I often look at people, and I try to look for good in them," Mrs. Rausch said. "But it definitely means I have to be more streetwise about people, and it's sad you have to be that way."

Mr. Weathersbee said Mr. Chisley's record shows that "we can't determine what individuals will be recidivous and what individuals won't be."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad