Woman, 71, among 4 in city killed by gunfire over weekend Police believe stray bullet came through her window


The last time Robert Hardy Jr. saw his mother alive, Nannie Hardy was heading to her bedroom to rub her arthritic body with salve and say the Lord's Prayer.

An hour later, at about 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Mr. Hardy found his 71-year-old mother on the floor with a bullet wound in her neck. Police believe she was hit by a stray bullet that came through the window of her second-floor bedroom.

Mrs. Hardy was one of four people killed by gunfire in the city during the weekend. The death of a fifth man found across from the Mount Pleasant Golf Course is being listed as questionable.

Mr. Hardy, who had been watching television, said he heard no gunshots outside their East Baltimore home. He learned of the shooting after one of Mrs. Hardy's grandchildren found her body when he went upstairs to go to bed.

Mr. Hardy said his mother appeared to have slipped off the chair across the room from the window while she was praying.

Later neighbors told Mr. Hardy they had heard gunshots and seen a group of men arguing across the street in the 1600 block of N. Milton Ave., Mr. Hardy said.

Agent Robert W. Weinhold Jr., city police spokesman, said police are treating the shooting as a homicide, though Mrs. Hardy was not the intended victim. He said there are no suspects. "You hear about people being hit with stray bullets on the news, but you don't think it will hit home," said Mr. Hardy, who works in the housekeeping department of Morgan State University.

He said his father died last year.

"I was just thinking about Thanksgiving Day and Christmas coming up and how I lost my father, but at least I'd be with my mother," he said. "Now she's gone."

At 11:11 p.m. Saturday, David Deas, 28, of the 800 block of Madeira St. died from a gunshot wound to the stomach in the 1000 block of N. Castle St., police said. Officers knew of no motive or suspects yesterday.

In a shooting that occurred yesterday, a man's body was found lying in the woods at the bottom of an embankment by a man jogging along the 4800 block of Franklintown Road in Leakin Park about 1 p.m.

Homicide Detective David Neverdon said the unidentified man was clothed and had been shot multiple times, including at least once in the head. The man was to be fingerprinted today at the medical examiner's office in an effort to identify him.

The body of a man in his 40s was found about 1 p.m. yesterday near a stream in the woods about 100 yards west of the 6100 block of Hillen Road across from the Mount Pleasant Golf Course.

The death was ruled questionable pending an autopsy.

Detective Dave Peckoo said that the body had no obvious signs of foul play and that a tattoo on the man's right forearm will be used in identifying the body.

At 4:15 p.m. yesterday, police found the body of Hayward Young, 35, of no fixed address, in a vacant house in the 1300 block of Riggs Ave. He had been shot once in the head, police said. No arrests had been made.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad