Lost details about stocks can be found


Due to a flood in our basement, we lost most of the records of our stocks. We have the initial cost and the stock certificates but did not recover the stock splits or dividend reinvestments. How can we get this additional information?

If you hold the actual certificates in your name, the transfer agent should be able to give you information on the number of shares you currently own, reflecting all stock splits and any reinvested dividends.

If you used a dividend-reinvestment program offered by the companies whose stock you own, the investor-relations or shareholder-services departments should be able to get a copy of your records. If the stock certificates are held in a brokerage account, the brokerage firm has the historical information on file, although some firms do charge a fee for retrieving this data.

Susan Bondy is the author of "How to Make Money Using Other People's Money." Write to her in care of The Sun, 501 N. Calvert St., Baltimore, Md. 21278. All letters will be treated confidentially.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad