Redskins dealt another loss, more injuries Four more hobble out of 24-3 setback to Chiefs


KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The footballs will be put away, the whirlpool will run at full speed, and trainer Bubba Tyer will ask the players to take a number if they want to see him this week.

The Washington Redskins, who took another physical beating yesterday while losing, 24-3, to the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium, are ready for their long-awaited bye week.

"This team needs a bye week, no question about that," guard Ray Brown said. "We have so many injuries that need attending to."

The Redskins entered the game without Henry Ellard and Michael Westbrook, their top two receivers, and Jim Lachey, their best offensive lineman.

Yesterday, receiver Leslie Shepherd (hamstring), guard Tre Johnson (strained knee and ankle), defensive tackle Sterling Palmer (bruised knee) and cornerback Darrell Green (strained Achilles tendon) left a game that was all but over when the Chiefs raced to a 14-0 lead early in the second quarter.

"Every time I looked up, somebody was being hauled off the field," Redskins coach Norv Turner said. "We came in here with numerous major injuries, and it continued."

The injuries took a toll on a high-powered offense that had rolled up more than 400 yards in each of its past two games. This time, the unit managed just 201 yards and quarterback Gus Frerotte was benched in favor of Heath Shuler with 7:19 to play.

Frerotte, who completed 11 of 34 passes for 140 yards, was handicapped by an inexperienced receiving corps -- which had a hard time getting open against the Chiefs' bump-and-run tactics -- and five dropped passes.

Shuler, who was injured on opening day and couldn't get his job back, threw five passes and suffered the same fate as Frerotte. He was sacked once, two passes went off the hands of receivers and to defensive backs for interceptions, and one was caught for a 4-yard gain.

"Gus was obviously struggling, and there were seven minutes left," said Turner, who declined to say which quarterback would start in two weeks against the Seattle Seahawks. "Heath hadn't played, and this was a chance for him to get into the game."

The problems on offense spoiled a fine effort by a defense that tightened up after Kansas City went ahead 14-0 on a 1-yard run by Marcus Allen and a 19-yard pass from Steve Bono to Willie Davis. The Chiefs managed just 136 yards in the second half before Kimble Anders raced 40 yards for the final touchdown with 2:26 to play.

The victory was the eighth in nine starts for a Kansas City team that was picked to finish last in the AFC West in many preseason publications.

"We're right where we think we should be right now," Chiefs receiver Lake Dawson said. "We didn't believe all that preseason stuff. We're pleased with this victory, but we know it wasn't pretty."

The game turned into a snore for more than 39 minutes with each team kicking a field goal before Anders broke his long run at the end.

Washington .. ..0 ..3 ..0 ..0 ..-- ..3

Kansas City . ..7 .10 ..0 ..7 ..-- ..24

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad