Dickinson holds off Hopkins, ending 6-game winning streak Two final-period TDs from Guzzo not enough


CARLISLE, Pa. -- Jim Guzzo tried to rally John Hopkins in the fourth quarter, throwing two touchdown passes, but it turned out to be too little, too late.

Dickinson held on to win the Centennial Conference game yesterday, 17-14, ending Hopkins' six-game winning streak.

The loss dropped Hopkins into a three-way tie for first place with Dickinson and Franklin & Marshall. All have 4-1 league records. Hopkins (6-2 overall) plays host to F&M; on Saturday.

"Our kids kept battling," said Hopkins coach Jim Margraff. "I'm proud of them for that. We just couldn't stop Dickinson in the first half, but they have a real good football team."

Dickinson (also 6-2 overall) is trying to win at least a piece of the Centennial championship for the eighth straight year.

Dickinson wasted no time establishing its running game, as Andrew Hinkle went 29 yards on the first play from scrimmage. Hinkle then picked up another 14 yards to the Hopkins 29.

Hinkle carried two yards for a touchdown with 4 minutes, 30 seconds gone. Danny Rasmussen kicked the extra point, and the Red Devils led, 7-0.

After Hopkins failed to move the ball on offense, Dickinson drove 65 yards on 14 plays for its second touchdown. Quarterback Bill Hawthorne scored on a 10-yard bootleg around right end. Rasmussen's kick made it 14-0 with 5:39 left in the half.

Dickinson linebacker Matt Bixler intercepted Dan Redziniak's pass and returned it 13 yards to Hopkins' 49, starting the Devils on the way to their third score, this one a three-pointer.

Rasmussen's 21-yard field goal with 42 seconds left in the half gave the home team a 17-0 lead.

After a scoreless third period, Hopkins electrified the Biddle Field crowd of 1,600 with a quick strike -- a 72-yard touchdown pass from Guzzo, who had just replaced Redziniak at quarterback, to his his brother Mark.

"We worked on that play in the backyard for 16 years," said Jim Guzzo. "But not for 72 yards. The backyard [in Bethlehem, Pa.] is only 15 yards long."

Mark Guzzo went up for the pass with defensive back Kris Henning at the Devils' 45-yard line. When Henning fell to the ground, the younger Guzzo caught the ball and raced 45 yards down the right sideline to the touchdown. Todd Bencivenni's extra point made the score 17-7.

Hopkins immediately recovered a Hawthorne fumble at the Dickinson 45. But Hopkins was unable to get a first down.

The Blue Jays did come back and drive 76 yards in 16 plays to their second touchdown. Jim Guzzo threw that one 10 yards to Ryan McCrum with 2:07 remaining.

A Hopkins onside kick failed. The Jays got the ball back one more time but could not get into Dickinson territory.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad