This is the first season Howard's Michelle DeYoung and Susan Mancho have played field hockey. Thanks to their performance yesterday in a Class 3A North regional game at Atholton, the juniors' season will last a little longer.
DeYoung's fourth goal of the season with 10:20 left in the first half held up, thanks to a fine defensive effort from Mancho and her teammates, as Howard defeated the Raiders, 1-0. The Lions RTC (7-6) will play at Centennial, a 3-0 winner at South Carroll, Tuesday in a semifinal game.
"This was a team effort," said DeYoung, whose team lost to Atholton, 2-1, 10 days ago. "We've worked so hard all year. We were glad to have a second chance and show them what we could do."
Said Mancho: "We knew we had it in ourselves that we could do it. We all hustled. Everybody did a really good job."
Howard had only three shots in the first half, and two of them came when DeYoung scored. Erica Hensley's shot in front of the goal was kicked away by goalie Sarah Geatz. But the ball was contained near the goal and a mad scramble ensued. Suddenly the ball went across the goal area and DeYoung, a right link, was alone and scored easily.
Geatz, a first-team All-County goalie last year, injured her right knee during practice Wednesday and couldn't bend it yesterday. It made a difference on the play before DeYoung's winning shot.
"I kicked it [Hensley's shot] with my right leg and it went out a few yards when normally it would have gone further," said Geatz, who helped the Raiders (8-5-1) to a share of the county title with Centennial. "I was trying 100 percent but I wasn't up to my normal standard."
Howard played without its top defender center halfback Heather Perkins, who injured her knee during Monday's scoreless tie against Centennial. Coach Pat Becker said Perkins may have torn cartilage and is out for the playoffs.
Because of Perkins' absence, Becker played five players out of position, including moving forward Julie Breen to center halfback. Still, with Mancho displaying speed and smart play, the Lions' defense was up to the task.
* Centennial 3, South Carroll 0: Jen Silverman scored two goals and Liz Sturm added one, leading visiting Centennial (7-4-2) past South Carroll in a Class 3A North regional game. Rebecca Armiger had four saves for Centennial.
* Glenelg 1, Walkersville 0: Kelly Waskey scored the lone goal as the host Gladiators downed Walkersville in a Class 2A West regional game. Goalie M.C. Duke had two saves.
* Oakland Mills 2, Great Mills 1: Linda Kao and Anne Ryder each scored as Oakland Mills (4-6-2) downed Great Mills (6-6-1) in a Class 2A South region quarterfinal.
Oakland Mills goalie Melissa Hampshire had six saves.
* Wilde Lake 2, Lackey 1: Katie Troutman scored two goals as visiting Wilde Lake (1-11-1) downed Lackey (5-8) in a Class 2A South regional game. Wildecats goalie Anna Adler had seven saves.
* Thomas Johnson vs. Mt. Hebron, ppd: The Class 3A North quarterfinal was postponed until today at 1 p.m. at Mount Hebron because of a problem with game officials.