Around the house
* Clean interior of washing machine. Remove built-up residue by filling with hot water and adding 1 gallon of distilled white vinegar. Run machine a full cycle. Do this at least once a year.
* Keep a colander in the sink when rinsing off dishes. Scrape plates over colander, rather than kitchen trash can. Liquid will drain from plates into sink; colander can be emptied into trash can.
* Spray laundry prewash onto stubborn stains on kitchen counter tops; let sit for half an hour. Rub off mark with the edge of a credit card.
* Protect fine china when storing. Place a paper plate between each dish while stacking on a shelf.
* In a hurry for that first cup of coffee each morning? Pre-measure seven pots of coffee into a week's worth of filters; stack into a coffee can and store in the freezer.
In the garden
* When collecting seeds for next year's garden, place on blotters to absorb excess moisture and avoid mold's forming.