William T. Smyth, 74, owner of Towson accounting firm
William T. Smyth, a tax preparation specialist who had owned an accounting firm in Towson, died Saturday of a heart attack at his residence at Oak Crest Village retirement community in Parkville. He was 74.
Mr. Smyth, who had been a longtime Lutherville resident, retired in 1986. He began his business career working with his father, Albert S. Smyth, who in 1914 founded Albert S. Smyth Co. Inc. jewelers in Baltimore. The firm now is in Timonium.
An aviation buff, he earned his pilot's license at 16. During World War II, he was a flight training officer in Texas and was discharged in 1945.
The Baltimore native was a 1939 graduate of Polytechnic Institute and attended the Johns Hopkins University and Baltimore College of Commerce.
He was a volunteer at Stella Maris Hospice and a member of senior citizen organizations, the Boumi Temple, the Mount Moriah Masonic Lodge and the Conoy Club, of which he was treasurer.
Services will be held at 10:30 a.m. today at Govans Presbyterian Church, 5824 York Road, where he was a member and former treasurer.
His wife, the former Ada May Alexander, whom he married in 1946, died in 1989.
He is survived by three sons, Thomas A. Smyth of Cockeysville, David A. Smyth of Parkville and James A. Smyth of Hunt Valley; a daughter, Susan Smyth Shenker of Brookville, N.Y.; two brothers, Robert Smyth of Baltimore and Lester Smyth of Towson; a sister, Elisabeth Getschel of Baltimore; and 10 HTC grandchildren.
Franklin R. Gadd, 72, worked with railroads
Franklin R. Gadd, a retired railroader, died Friday of pulmonary fibrosis at Mercy Medical Center. He was 72 and lived South Baltimore.
Mr. Gadd, who began his career in labor relations with the Western Maryland Railway in 1946, retired from the Chessie System in 1986.
For many years, the South Baltimore native maintained elaborate gardens at his 200-year-old house on Hamburg Street in Federal Hill. He moved to an apartment several years ago.
He was a 1941 graduate of Southern High School and was discharged in 1945 after serving in the Army in Germany and France during World War II.
He was a member of Christ Lutheran Church, where he played the organ and piano at the Tuesday morning healing service and helped with the bookkeeping. Services will be held at 10 a.m. today at the church, 701 S. Charles St.
He is survived by his wife of 20 years, the former Rita Hyser; a son, Stephen Gadd of Harbor City, Calif.; four stepsons, Theodore A. Scarborough of Olney, Ashely W. Scarborough of Baltimore, Julian S. Scarborough of Glen Burnie and Stephen A. Scarborough of Perry Hall; 12 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Monsignor F. Joseph Manns, Baltimore pastor, 92
Monsignor F. Joseph Manns, retired pastor of St. Anthony of Padua Roman Catholic Church who had held several posts in the Baltimore Archdiocese, died Saturday at Stella Maris Hospice of heart failure. He was 92.
Monsignor Manns was pastor of St. Anthony on Frankford Avenue from 1957 until 1968. In earlier assignments, he was pastor of St. Katharine of Siena Roman Catholic Church in East Baltimore and assistant pastor at St. Martin Roman Catholic Church, his home church at Fulton Avenue and Fayette Street.
In between, his posts included secretary to Archbishop Michael J. Curley and vice chancellor of the archdiocese. He became a monsignor in 1939.
Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Loyola High School and Loyola College. He attended St. Mary's Seminary and completed his studies for the priesthood at the North American College in Rome, where he was ordained in December 1928.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10:30 a.m. today in the chapel at Stella Maris, 2300 Dulaney Valley Road in Timonium.
He is survived by three nephews, James C. Greenwell and Fred Manns, both of Bel Air, and Frederick M. Greenwell of Baltimore; three nieces, Claire Greenwell of Towson, Joan West of Gilbert, Ariz., and Lois M. Piraino of Parkville; and many grandnieces and grandnephews.
Sister Winifred Kerwin, 106, hospital administrator
Sister Winifred Kerwin, D.C., a former hospital administrator, died Saturday of congestive heart failure at Villa St. Michael, the retirement home of the Daughters of Charity in Emmitsburg. She was 106.
Sister Winifred had been administrator of the Seton Institute and Jenkins Memorial Hospital, now St. Elizabeth's Home for Nursing Care.
A native of Roscommon, Ireland, she came to the United States as a young woman and entered the Daughters of Charity in 1913.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. today in the Basilica of the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in Emmitsburg.
She is survived by many nieces and nephews.