For a sport where two-goal wins are considered blowouts, No. 2 Fallston (8-0, 4-0) is a juggernaut. The Cougars have scored three or more goals six times and have averaged 3.5 goals.
No. 14 C. Milton Wright (4-3, 2-1) became the latest victim after four goal-scorers led visiting Fallston to a 4-0 triumph yesterday. The win extended the 1993-1994 state class 2A champions' record to 38-0-2 over a two-season span, and they have been scored on only twice, once in each season.
The Cougars, an aggressive, swarming band, distribute the ball well and are relentless in their attack. Wright played well in the early going, and did not surrender its first goal until the last 28 seconds of the half. However, the visitors had a margins of 19-1 in shots and 7-0 in penalty corners. For the game, the respective totals were 45-2 and 11-0.
Rebekah Dorsey got the first goal for Fallston followed by Danielle Marconi and Kate Simon, two of the three sophomore starters, and Katie Wirth. The three second-half scores were within a 10-minute stretch midway of the period.
Much of the Fallston play -- offense and defense -- is produced out of the middle, led by seniors Katie Wirth, Rachel Simon, last year's Harford County Player of the Year, and Carrie Grable.
Defensively, senior goalkeeper Julie Clark made one second-half save, while her C.M. Wright counterpart, Jen Reedy, made 25.
Wright backs Erin Hypes, Christie Schwartz, and Colleen Lueckel, did a good job of thwarting initial Fallston drives into the circle, but there were just too many players attacking too often to shut it down completely.
* Severna Park 10, North County 0: Senior Suzanne Plant scored all three of her goals in the second half, while junior Amy Noble scored her seventh and eighth goals of the year, as No. 1 Severna Park (8-0 ) defeated visiting North County.
Sarah Paul had 22 saves for North County, which was outshot 33-0.
* Bryn Mawr 3, Park 0: Katie MacColl had a goal and an assist leading No. 5 Bryn Mawr past host Park (1-1-1).
Charlotte Graham and Kate Cole each had a goal for Bryn Mawr and Kim Smith contributed two assists.
* North Carroll 1, Thomas Johnson 0: Annie Eggers scored the game-winner with 8:29 left as visiting No. 6 North Carroll (6-2) edged Thomas Johnson.
* Notre Dame Prep 0, Roland Park 0: Roland Park's Meredith Shuey and NDP's Mary Mann made four and seven saves, respectively, as Notre Dame Prep (2-1-1) and visiting No. 8 Roland Park played to a draw.
* St. Paul's 3, Severn 1: Michelle Wachter scored the go-ahead goal with 3:44 left in the first half as host St. Paul's (4-0) upset No. 9 Severn (5-3).
Allison Polk-Williams added an insurance goal with 2:38 in the second half.
Gussie Haybeck gave Severn a 1-0 lead in the first half. St. Paul's Sarah Oglesby tied the score.
St. Paul's outshot Severn, 12-4.
* Arundel 1, Spalding 0: Jeni Miller scored the game-winner with 22:50 left to lift host Arundel (3-1-2) over No. 10 Spalding (7-2). * Liberty 2, Frederick 0: Kelly Grammes and Ginger Thompson each scored unassisted goals as No. 12 Liberty (4-1) defeated visiting Frederick. Liberty outshot Frederick, 20-1.
* Maryvale 10, St. Timothy's 0: Maura Doyle scored four goals and added an assist and Candace Cummings had two goals and two assists to lead No. 15 and host Maryvale (4-0) past St. Timothy's.