Man suspected of killing his girlfriend fatally shoots himself during standoff Deputies find suspect, body of woman in Joppatowne apartment


A Joppatowne man suspected of fatally wounding his estranged girlfriend in her apartment Monday night died last night, several hours after shooting himself in the head with a rifle, ending a nearly 16-hour standoff with Harford County Sheriff's deputies.

Sgt. Edward Hopkins, a spokesman for the Sheriff's Office, identified the woman as Lisa Ann Grissinger, 27, of the 500 block of Renee Drive at the Harborside apartments.

The suspect, Henry Milton Cavey Jr., 44, died at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center about 9 p.m., Sergeant Hopkins said. He said Mr. Cavey shot himself after deputies doused him with pepper spray and Mace.

The sergeant said Mr. Cavey lived with Ms. Grissinger until recently.

Both worked at the University of Baltimore, Mr. Cavey in the central receiving department and Ms. Grissinger as an administrative aide in the office of the dean of the college of liberal arts, said Katie Ryan, a university spokeswoman.

The incident began about 10 p.m. Monday when members of Mr. Cavey's family called sheriff's deputies to ask them to look in on Ms. Grissinger, Sergeant Hopkins said.

When deputies knocked on the door to her apartment about 10:30 p.m., no one answered, he said.

But neighbors told the deputies they had heard a woman scream and a loud noise earlier in the evening, Sergeant Hopkins said.

When deputies entered the apartment, they saw the suspect with a rifle, but he wasn't threatening himself or anyone else, Sergeant Hopkins said.

The woman was lying dead in another room, he said.

The deputies were in the apartment's foyer while the suspect sat on the couch, holding the rifle, he said.

Deputies then began negotiating with the suspect and continued to do so for several hours before deciding to bring the standoff to an end before schoolchildren and other residents returned home, where they might be injured if a shootout ensued, he said.

About 2:10 p.m., sheriff deputies rushed the suspect, Sergeant Hopkins said.

"They had only a second, or two, and in that time he raised a small-caliber rifle and shot himself in the forehead," Sergeant Hopkins said.

Deputies had hoped the stinging chemicals would distract him long enough for them to subdue him, the sergeant said.

A MedEvac unit flew the suspect to Shock Trauma in Baltimore, where he remained in critical condition until he died, Sergeant Hopkins said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad