Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Harrison-led Meade spoils Severna Park homecoming Mustangs' back upstages Morris in 26-19 victory


An unheralded Meade football team came to Severna Park last night and stunned the Falcons and their festive homecoming crowd with a 26-19 victory.

There was no stopping the Mustangs and their deceptive senior running back, Roman Harrison, in the second half after the first half belonged mostly to Severna Park's Jihad Morris.

Harrison, 5 feet 8 and 175 pounds, ran for 125 yards in the second half to keep Severna Park's offense off the field most of the time. He wound up with 195 yards and one touchdown on 23 carries.

Morris finished with 165 yards and one touchdown on 26 carries.

While Morris was mostly a one-man show for Severna Park (2-2), Harrison had a lot of help from Meade quarterback Malwan Johnson, who threw two touchdown passes to Elijah Thurman and a two-point conversion pass to Justin Patton.

It was Johnson who threw what proved to be the winning touchdown for Meade (3-1) with one minute left in the third quarter.

He hit Thurman with a 25-yard pass, giving Meade a 24-19 lead, and then added the two-point conversion on a toss to Patton for the 26-19 margin.

The Meade lead was threatened often in the fourth quarter by Morris and the Falcons, but Severna Park could not come up with the big play under junior quarterback Mike O'Malley, who had replaced starter Greg Korwek in the third quarter.

The play that really hurt the Falcons came with 2:19 left in the game, when Rodney Hall dove in a desperate attempt for a first down at the Meade 40, but missed by inches of picking it up.

That enabled Meade to take over and run the clock down to three seconds.

The first half featured the best of Morris as he weaved his way through would-be Meade tacklers for 120 yards and one touchdown on 18 carries.

He ran three yards off the right side for a touchdown midway through the second quarter, giving Severna Park a 13-6 lead.

But Meade answered 55 seconds later with a 19-yard -- by Harrison through the Severna Park defense for a touchdown, reducing the advantage to 13-12.

Meade opted to go for two points and the lead, with Johnson passing to Hubert Barnes for the apparent conversion.

But a holding penalty nullified the two points, forcing a second try by the Mustangs.

This time, Meade didn't even come close to the goal line, as Moss fumbled a pitchout.

The botched conversion enabled Severna Park to cling to the 13-12 lead at halftime.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad