Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

Cosimo C. Abato, 65, musician, labor lawyer


Cosimo C. Abato, a professional musician and lawyer who represented about 50 labor organizations in the Baltimore area, died Sept. 19 of cancer at his home in Abingdon. He was 65.

Mr. Abato was a member of Local 40-543, the Musicians Association of Metropolitan Baltimore. He was general counsel to the American Federation of Musicians from 1978 until 1987.

Jack Hook, the local's secretary-treasurer and administrative officer, said he met Mr. Abato in 1981 shortly after he took office "and felt complimented that he regarded me as a friend."

Mr. Hook, noting that his qualifications for the union post were limited to his being a professional musician, said that he came to depend on Mr. Abato for advice.

Mr. Hook said his friend's work was "peerless" and "his reputation as a labor attorney was right up there with anyone."

Carmen Papale, regional manager and international vice president of Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers, described Mr. Abato as "an extremely talented and intelligent labor lawyer. He not only knew the law inside and out, but he knew people."

Mr. Papale added: "He would not give you an answer to pacify or satisfy you -- he gave good legal advice.

"Whatever praise anybody can give to him, he richly deserved. He was always there for you. He loved to do the work."

Born in Annapolis, Mr. Abato learned to play the clarinet and saxophone from his father, Anthony A. Abato, who was a member of the Naval Academy band for 30 years.

He won a scholarship to the Peabody Institute, and in 1945 and 1946 he played with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.

In 1947, he received a scholarship to study at the Juilliard School of Music in New York. The next year, he joined the Army and played with its Field Band until 1952.

He then enrolled at New York University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated in 1955. He graduated from the New York Law School in 1957 and was admitted to the New York Bar in 1958.

During his years in college and law school, he worked as a musician in New York on radio and television shows, including the "Firestone Hour"; Broadway musicals, including "Wonderful Town" and "Seventh Heaven"; and movies, including "Island In the Sun."

He played on recordings made by orchestra leaders and singers, including Percy Faith, Mitch Miller, Sarah Vaughn, Johnny Mathis and Vic Damone.

Mr. Abato began practicing law in the solicitor's office of the U.S. Labor Department in 1958. In 1960, he was assigned to the Baltimore office of the National Labor Relations Board.

He had been in private practice since 1962, and he was a partner in Bracken and Abato, Abato and Abato, and finally Abato, Rubenstein and Abato.

A memorial service for Mr. Abato will be held at 10 a.m. Oct. 14 in the Peabody Institute library, 1 E. Mount Vernon Place.

Survivors include his wife, the former Marilyn Cascio; three daughters, Kim Deachilla of Timonium, LeeAnn Quinn of Monkton and Toni Marie Horton of Tampa, Fla.; his brother and law partner, Anthony A. Abato Jr. of Towson; a sister, Annamarie Krackow of Baltimore; and six grandchildren.

Raphael A. Giudice, 84, barbershop owner

Raphael A. Giudice, a retired barber, died Saturday of kidney failure at Fallston General Hospital. The Perry Hall resident was 84.

His customers included former Orioles manager Earl Weaver and several of the ballplayers, said a son, John S. Giudice of Perry Hall.

Known as Ray, Mr. Giudice opened New Dimensions on Ebenezer Road in 1963. He worked 10-hour days, six days a week, until he retired four years ago.

Earlier, he had operated Ray's Barber Shop in the basement of his Gardenville home in the 5000 block of Belair Road for 27 years.

"He never minded the long hours. People would come to the Gardenville shop at 10 p.m. for a haircut, and he took care of them. He truly loved his work," said John Giudice, who cut hair alongside his father for 32 years.

Ray Giudice was the son of Northern Italian immigrants who settled along the Severn River and farmed.

His parents died when he was 12, and he and several brothers were raised by an aunt in East Baltimore. He attended St. John the Evangelist parochial school until he became an apprentice barber at 14.

"My uncle taught him, and he went to work in his East Eager Street shop," said his wife of 56 years, the former Mamie Armetta.

Mr. Giudice was a member of the Sons of Italy.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9:30 a.m. today at St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, 8420 Belair Road, Fullerton.

Other survivors include another son, Raphael A. Giudice Jr. of Towson; four grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.

Vivienne Bond Warren, Baltimore native

Vivienne Bond Warren, who moved from Phoenix to Lancaster, Pa., in 1984, died Sunday of cancer at Willow Valley Manor, a retirement community where she lived. She was 81.

The former Vivienne Bond was a native of Baltimore. Her husband, Donald Hyatt Warren, died in 1992.

She kept her membership in Chestnut Grove Presbyterian Church, 3701 Sweet Air Road in Jacksonville, where graveside services will be held at 1:30 p.m. today after services at 11 a.m. at Groff Funeral Home in Lancaster.

She is survived by two sons, Richard A. Warren of Fallston and David L. Warren of Hartford, Conn.; a daughter, Donna E. Shubrooks of Hartford; and two grandchildren.

Frank M. Selinske, boilermaker

Frank M. Selinske, a retired boilermaker who moved from Bayonne, N.J., to Catonsville about seven years ago, died Sunday at Meridian-Catonsville Nursing Center. He was 73.

The family was uncertain of the cause of death.

Mr. Selinske retired 12 years ago. In Bayonne, he also had owned the Tarry or Carry Tavern.

During World War II, he was an Army Air Force gunner aboard bombers in the South Pacific.

A memorial service will be held at 7 o'clock tonight at the home of a daughter, 408 Old Orchard Road, Baltimore. A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Henry Roman Catholic Church in Bayonne.

He is survived by his wife of 51 years, the former Helen Kinney; three daughters, Dr. Jane Selinske of Newark, N.J., and Joanne Selinske and Ellen Selinske Drennan, both of Baltimore; a sister, Isabel Wilson of Fairhaven, N.J.; and two grandchildren.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad