Don’t miss the Carroll County home show this weekend!

Teen ordered held on no bail for evaluation Youth charged with beating father to death with bat; Police 'defused arguments'; Family had lived for about 10 years in quiet neighborhood


A Glen Burnie man charged with beating his father to death with an aluminum baseball bat was ordered held without bail yesterday while he undergoes psychiatric evaluation.

William F. Hollowak Jr., 18, of the 300 block of King George Drive is charged with the first-degree murder of William F. Hollowak Sr., 42. Police say the slaying occurred during an argument Monday night.

Mr. Hollowak sat quietly during yesterday's bail review hearing. A court officer rattled off his background: unemployed, a ninth-grade education, emotionally and mentally disturbed. His only previous charge came last month when he tried to steal a pair of tennis shoes. That case is unresolved.

Judge Joseph P. Manck said Mr. Hollowak would be put on a suicide watch. Friends and relatives declined to comment.

Court charging documents said Mr. Hollowak struck his father one to three times at their home. His mother, Theresa Hollowak, called police from a neighbor's house about 8:15 p.m. She told officers she thought her son had killed her husband, the documents said.

When police arrived, they found the senior Mr. Hollowak's body in the laundry room, his head wrapped in a plastic garbage bag, the documents said. His son was nowhere to be found.

A two-hour manhunt involving K-9 units, state and county police helicopters ended at 10:10 p.m. when police found Mr. Hollowak behind an office building near Aquahart and Oakwood roads. Police could not say what the father and son had argued about.

Yesterday, neighbors said the flashing police lights and Mrs. Hollowak's screams shattered the calm of a block they described as quiet and working class. Neighbors said police have been to the Hollowaks' home in the past.

"The police have defused arguments a few times," said Angel M. Bedell, 38, who lives two houses down.

Monday night, when a paramedic told Mrs. Hollowak her husband was dead, she banged on the windows of her truck, then cradled a picture of her son that police brought out, said Mrs. Bedell.

"She kept saying, 'Where have you gone? I know you didn't mean it,' " said Mrs. Bedell.

Mrs. Hollowak was taken to North Arundel Hospital, where she remained late yesterday, a hospital spokesman said.

Neighbors said the Hollowaks have lived in the neighborhood about 10 years and kept to themselves, though they would wave and say "hello." But, neighbors said, work leaves little time for people to socialize.

L. Joseph Keidel, 50, and his wife, Sharon, said they were entertaining guests when they heard Mrs. Hollowak's screams.

Mrs. Keidel, 47, said they thought it might have been neighborhood children playing.

Said Mrs. Bedell: "I guess nobody expects something like that in a community like this. But the way things are going these days, I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad