A firefighter was injured yesterday when he fell off a ladder while attempting to enter the former Sanitary Laundry building in the 2700 block of Sisson St.
The firefighter, assigned to Engine Company 52 and whose name was not available, suffered leg, hip and arm injuries. He was being treated at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, said Battalion Chief Frank Snyder. His condition was not known.
The fire, reported at 4:56 p.m., was confined to the third floor and caused minor damage. Almost 50 firefighters brought the fire under control at 5:28 p.m.
Chief Snyder said a homeless man was in the building moments before residents spotted flames.
Police said the man was taken into custody and may face arson and trespassing charges.