Jose Polancar, dental surgeon emigrated from Cuba


Dr. Jose Angel Polancar, who left a dental surgery practice in Cuba after 30 years to immigrate to the United States and freedom and built a practice here, died Saturday at the Manor Care Nursing Home in Ruxton from complications of a stroke.

Dr. Polancar, who had lived for several years at the College Manor Retirement Community, was 88.

"He was determined to overcome the crime of communism and to prove that he could work hard and be successful," said his daughter, Isabel Sainz of Baltimore. "He gave everything to help his children and grandchildren. He pushed them to study and do well."

Dr. Polancar studied medicine at the University of Havana. After earning a degree in dental surgery and a medical degree in 1932, Dr. Polancar began his practice in oral surgery and dentistry in Havana.

In 1965, Dr. Polancar and his family left Cuba as political refugees and moved to Baltimore soon after. He passed his Foreign Medical Doctor's examination and, at 56, completed an internship at Bon Secours Hospital.

Dr. Polancar also passed the state medical exam and began to practice general medicine at Crownsville State Hospital. After becoming a United States citizen in 1969, he worked for eight more years, retiring in 1977 at the age of 70, his daughter said.

"He left a great oral surgery practice and came here with nothing," said Dr. Sainz, a dentist in the Baltimore area. "Then, without having a great command of the language, he passed his examination and took his internship like he was a young person. I admire him and his determination.

Dr. Sainz said she and her brother, Jose T. Polancar of Miami, became dentists at their father's behest.

In 1935, Dr. Polancar and Isabel Pestana were married. She died in 1988.

A Mass of Christian burial is to be offered at 9 a.m. tomorrow at St. Mary's of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church in Govans.

In addition to his son and daughter, survivors include 10 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

Anna K. Grossman, 89, printing company president

Anna K. Grossman, an employee and president of Paul Kantor & Co. for more than 40 years, died Saturday of heart failure at Sinai Hospital. The Northwest Baltimore resident was 89.

Mrs. Grossman managed the Baltimore printing company from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, when it closed. She took over for her father, who founded the company. Until her death, she helped longtime clients complete printing projects.

Before starting at Paul Kantor & Co., she worked at City Hall.

Mrs. Grossman was a member and president of the Business and Professional Women's Club of Baltimore and the Women's Advertising Club of Baltimore. She was named BPW's Woman of the Year in the 1950s.

She was born Anna Kantor in Russia and immigrated with her family to the United States when she was 7. At 16, she moved with her family from Buffalo, N.Y., to Baltimore.

A graduate of Western High School, she attended Goucher College on a scholarship.

Her husband, Irving Ira Grossman, died in 1972.

Mrs. Grossman was a volunteer for Peers and Passage, an organization that visited people confined to their homes.

Services were scheduled for noon today at Sol Levinson & Bros., 6010 Reisterstown Road in Baltimore.

Mrs. Grossman is survived by a son, Stanley Kantor of Reisterstown; a sister, Rae Rogers of Baltimore; three grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

The family has suggested memorial contributions to the Cardiology Department, c/o Fund for Johns Hopkins Medicine, Reed Hall, 1620 McElderry St., Baltimore 21205-1911.

Jane M. Walter, 65, missionary and teacher

Jane M. Walter, an inner-city missionary who worked with children for almost 30 years, died Friday at her home in Fallston from complications of multiple sclerosis. She was 65.

A native of Takoma Park, the former Jane M. Vickers lived and traveled all over the United States with her mother before settling in the Forest Park area during her teens.

"She always said she attended 13 different schools before she graduated from Forest Park High School in 1949," said her daughter, Joy M. Wallnofer of Baltimore.

She eventually became an elementary school teacher in the city's schools. In 1967, she left the school system to begin her missionary work with young people throughout the state.

"She taught many Bible clubs for teen-agers and children in schools, recreation centers, malls and backyards," Mrs. Wallnofer said, noting that her mother's missionary work had been primarily in the city.

Although the multiple sclerosis she was diagnosed with in her early 20s left her legally blind and in a wheelchair, Mrs. Walter continued her ministry, her daughter said.

"She loved to work with the children," Mrs. Wallnofer said, adding that her father, Edward V. Walter Sr., had helped her mother with the missionary work for many years. The Walters, who had been married for 35 years, often put on puppet shows and "gospel magic" for the children, she said.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at the Perry Hall Baptist Church, 3919 Schroeder Ave.

Mrs. Walter also is survived by a son, Edward V. Walter Jr. of Baltimore, and two grandchildren.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad