Mike Barger headed in the game-winner with 12:50 left in the first half yesterday as the Loyola men's soccer team advanced through the first round of the Reebok/Smith Barney Classic by defeating New Hampshire, 2-0, in Burlington, Vt.
It was the third consecutive win for Loyola (3-2), which faces host Vermont today at 2 p.m. Vermont defeated Buffalo, 2-0, in the other first-round game.
* Delaware 3, UMBC 2: Cole Gillespie's shot from near midfield skimmed off UMBC defender Anthony Adams and beyond goalie C. J. Norton with two seconds remaining in overtime as the Blue Hens (3-1) edged UMBC (3-3) in a non-league contest.
* Western Maryland 2, Haverford 1: Eric Laurence had a goal and an assist to lead Western Maryland (5-0-1, 1-0) to a Centennial Conference win over host Haverford.
* Mount St. Mary's 3, Marist 0: Jose Cornejo scored two first-period goals to lead Mount St. Mary's (3-2, 1-0) past visiting Marist (1-5, 0-3) in a Northeast Conference game.
* Gettysburg 2, Washington College 0: Greg Stevcic and Craig Beswick scored first-half goals to beat host Washington College (4-3, 0-1) in a Centennial Conference game. Gettysburg (5-1, 1-0) outshot the Shoremen, 19-4.
* Adelphi 9, UMES 0: Jussi Eskola scored twice and added an assist in the first half as host Adelphi (3-2) defeated UMES (0-4). Jukka Salasuo had three assists and Jose Resada had two.
* Goucher 5, Gallaudet 2: Radcliffe Roye scored two first-half goals to pace host Goucher (3-4, 1-0) over Gallaudet (3-3, 0-1) in a Capital Athletic Conference game.
* UMBC 2, Towson State 1: Kristen Einarson and Denise Schilte scored in the final eight minutes, rallying UMBC (3-1) to its third straight win. Towson State fell to 1-3.
* Johns Hopkins 1, St. Mary's 0: Becki Shapack scored unassisted on a free kick with 20 minutes left in the first half to lift host Johns Hopkins (2-3) over St. Mary's (4-1), which hadn't given up a goal before yesterday.
* Western Maryland 4, Catholic 1: Natalie Hannibal (Liberty) scored the first two goals of her college career to lift Western Maryland (3-1) past host Catholic.
* Mount St. Mary's 2, Marist 1: Heather Karap scored the game-winner at the 65:50 mark, off a feed from Christy Wicks and Julia Oleksak, as Mount St. Mary's downed visiting Marist College (1-4, 0-1) in a Northeast Conference game.
* College of Notre Dame 2, Salisbury State 1: Christine Scelfo scored the game-winner with nine minutes remaining in the second overtime, lifting host College of Notre Dame (3-2) past Salisbury State (4-1).
* Salisbury State 2, St. Mary's 0: Stacey Gado and Sue Fatz combined to shut out visiting St. Mary's in a Capital Athletic Conference game as coach Dawn Chamberlin earned her 100th win.
* Johns Hopkins 4, Muhlenberg 1: Mary Ann McGuire scored her second goal, the game-winner, with 15 minutes left as host Johns Hopkins (3-2) defeated Muhlenberg (0-2).
* Swarthmore 4, Western Maryland 0: Four different players scored as visiting Swarthmore (3-1, 2-0) blanked Western Maryland (1-1, 0-1) in a Centennial Conference game.
* Goucher 3, Drew 3: Michele Mohlman scored twice and added an assist as host Goucher (5-0-1) and Drew (6-0-1) tied.
* College of Notre Dame 4, Mary Baldwin 0: Julie Desmond had two goals and an assist to lead College of Notre Dame (2-4) over host Mary Baldwin.