Don’t miss the Carroll County home show this weekend!

6 teen-agers arrested in shooting death


Police in Baltimore County and Daytona Beach, Fla., reported the arrests yesterday of six teen-agers in the shooting death of a 32-year-old Middle River woman in her house Thursday.

Four of the teen-agers, including the woman's 18-year-old stepson, were charged with first-degree murder and denied bail yesterday. They were being held at the Baltimore County Detention Center in Towson.

Two others, who police said had fled to Florida in the victim's 1988 Chevrolet Beretta, were being held by authorities in Daytona Beach to be brought back to Baltimore County, said Cpl. Kevin B. Novak, a Baltimore County police spokesman.

Corporal Novak said police believe the stepson, Roger Dale Ramsey Jr., 18, and the others conspired to burglarize his parents' home in the 300 block of Endsleigh Ave. Thursday morning.

Mr. Ramsey told investigators, according to court documents, that he and his stepmother had been having arguments about a car accident, details of which were not available yesterday. He told police he had a grudge against her, the documents said.

After confronting the intruders, Kimberly Sue Ramsey was shot three times in the head and chest with a .38-caliber handgun, Corporal Novak and court documents said.

Police found her body in her bed in a back bedroom about 6 p.m. She had been shot before dawn, police said, although exactly when at what time was unclear.

A neighbor called 911 when a teen-ager came out of Mrs. Ramsey's house crying, and said that someone had been shot, police and witnesses said. Police arrived a few minutes later.

Detectives in Daytona Beach arrested Daniel Scheurman, 18, who had no fixed address, and a 14-year-old Essex girl, about 5 p.m. Friday after a bicycle patrol officer noticed Mrs. Ramsey's car parked outside a motel, Corporal Novak said.

Early Saturday, Baltimore County police arrested Mr. Ramsey and Selena Wiatrowski, 18, both of the first block of Bellanca Court, and Kimberly Michele Lange, 17, of the 300 block of Townsend Blvd.

Robert Scott Simmons, 19, of the 600 block of Dunwich Way was arrested yesterday afternoon.

With the exception of the 14-year-old girl, a police statement said, the rest were charged in warrants with homicide. The 14-year-old was expected to be charged as an adult later, police said.

Corporal Novak said more arrests were expected.

A District Court commissioner denied bail yesterday evening to Miss Wiatrowski, Miss Lange, who was charged as an adult, and Mr. Simmons. Mr. Ramsey was still awaiting a hearing late last night.

Investigators believe several teen-agers broke a window to Mrs. Ramsey's house early Thursday morning, entered, and were taking cash, credit cards, and some household appliances when she confronted them, Corporal Novak said.

Some time later, possibly about 1 p.m., Mrs. Ramsey's car was driven to Daytona Beach, police said.

Neighbors yesterday described the Ramseys, who lived in a single family home at the end of a dead-end street, as quiet. Their one-story house is flanked on three sides by woods, and on the fourth by a field that abuts new townhouses.

Neighbors said Roger Dale Ramsey Sr., husband of the victim and father of young Mr. Ramsey, had lived in the house about 20 years. He was not at home when the break-in and shooting occurred and would not talk with reporters yesterday.

Mrs. Ramsey, who formerly lived in Millersville, moved in about seven months ago, one neighbor said.

Court documents said the younger Mr. Ramsey told police he discussed burglarizing the house with two male acquaintances about 11 p.m. Wednesday.

Florida police were told, court records said, that the six gathered at one house before going to Mrs. Ramsey's house. A 38-caliber handgun and three bullets were obtained at that gathering, the documents said.

From there, four of the six arrested left for the Ramsey house in a red Dodge pickup truck, according to documents.

At the house, the documents said, an exterior telephone line was cut, and one of the teen-agers gave another a key to the front door and told him to break a window so that the house would look as if it had been burglarized.

Several intruders had entered through the front door when the window was broken, causing Mrs. Ramsey to scream, the documents said. One intruder told her to shut up. Later, as the pickup was being loaded, police were told, another scream was heard inside the house and three gunshots were fired.

Three intruders fled in the pickup, one drove off in Mrs. Ramsey's car, and another left on foot, court documents said.

Five of those arrested yesterday later met back at the house where they had originally gathered and divided the stolen property, court records allege. The sixth, who did not participate in the robbery, joined the group and received some of the stolen goods, the records allege.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad