Police identify body as Baltimore teen-ager


County police have identified a body found Saturday in the woods in the 1500 block of Shot Town Road in Arnold as that of Miquel Tavon Cauthorne, 16, of the 3600 block of West Bay Ave. in Baltimore.

The youth was shot several times -- including once in the back of the head -- with a small-caliber handgun late Friday or early Saturday morning, police said.

The youth's mother reported him missing to Baltimore police about 1 p.m. Sunday after he failed to come home Saturday night, police said.

According to police, the youth's body was found about a half-mile north of the intersection of Shot Town and Old Mill Bottom roads. His body was found face down in a wooded hollow about 12 feet from the road.

Police said neighbors reported hearing gunshots Friday, but people sometimes hunt in the area, and it was "hard to say whether [the shots were] related," said Sgt. John R. Jaschik, a homicide detective.

The body was discovered shortly before noon Saturday by a resident walking his dog. The dog led the man to the body, police said.

The man called police, who searched the body, but found no identification.

County police identified the body Tuesday afternoon after Baltimore police called saying they had a report of a missing person that fit the description.

A fingerprint match confirmed the identification.

This is the third incident in recent years involving violence along Shot Town Road, a secluded, sparsely populated, dead-end road just north of U.S. 50.

A Churchton cabdriver was shot in the arm and chest about 3 a.m. April 29, 1993, by a passenger he had taken to the 1400 block of Shot Town Road. The man accused of the crime, Eric Daniels, of the 1400 block of Middletown Road, Annapolis, was acquitted of the charge Jan. 20, 1993.

In December 1990, an Annapolis man told police that he killed a 19-year-old Barbados man, took the man's gun, and buried his body off Shot Town Road.

William Isaiah Johnson, of the 200 block of Pindell Ave., pleaded guilty to manslaughter on Nov. 5, 1991, and was sentenced to four years in prison.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad