Baltimore Sun’s BEST party in 2 weeks

C. Robert Probst Sr.SteamfitterC. Robert Probst Sr.,...


C. Robert Probst Sr.


C. Robert Probst Sr., a retired steamfitter who made models of log buildings and boats that are on display at museums, died Saturday of cancer at his Parkville home. He was 72.

Mr. Probst retired about 10 years ago after working for contractors through the hiring hall of Steamfitters Local 438 of the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industries.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and served with the 1st Marine Division in the Pacific during World War II. He was awarded a Purple Heart after his eardrums were ruptured by the concussion of an exploding shell during the invasion of Peleliu.

He began making models after his retirement, and his models of two log buildings from the Deep Creek Lake area -- a church and the Drain House, a slave house -- are displayed at the Garrett County Historical Museum.

His ship models include several of the Pride of Baltimore II, one of them on display in the ship's Baltimore office; and two tugs -- a steam power design and a design that used both sail and steam -- that are on display at the Baltimore Museum of Industry.

Services for Mr. Probst were to be held at 11 a.m. today at the Evans Funeral Chapel, 8800 Harford Road in Parkville.

He is survived by his wife, the former Marie Cochran; a son, C. Robert Probst Jr. of Baltimore; a daughter, Kathy M. Florian of Perry Hall; three sisters; and five grandchildren.

James E. Shephard

Student, 13

A memorial service for James E. "Jack" Shephard, a 13-year-old who died after being struck by a car near his home in northern Harford County, was to be held at 7 p.m. today at the Cockeysville Volunteer Fire Company, York and Paper Mill roads in Hunt Valley.

Jack, as friends and family knew him, died Saturday evening of head injuries he suffered in the accident a day earlier while retrieving mail from his family's rural mailbox. He was to have entered North Harford Middle School this week.

He played recreational league football for the Jarrettsville Knights and recreational league lacrosse.

He is survived by his parents, Reggie Shephard Jr. and Valerie Shephard of White Hall; his paternal grandparents, Reggie Shephard Sr. and Peggy Shephard of Cockeysville; and his maternal grandmother, Betty Hatch of Parkville.

Franklin C. Cobourn

Engineer, businessman

Franklin C. Cobourn, a retired engineer who also operated an upholstery and furniture refinishing business, died Monday at his home in the Carroll Lutheran Village in Westminster of cancer. He was 75.

Mr. Cobourn retired in 1979 after nearly 39 years with Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Co. He then began his furniture business in his garage, first in Catonsville and then in Westminster, where he moved four years ago.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of City College. During World War II, he was an officer in the Army Signal Corps in the Philippines.

A scoutmaster for 30 years, he was given the Boy Scouts' Silver Beaver award.

Services were to be held at 1 p.m. today at the Pritts Funeral Home in Westminster.

He is survived by his wife of nearly 53 years, the former Norma Walton; three sons, Harold Miller Cobourn of Santa Rosa, Calif., Stephen Franklin Cobourn of Spokane, Wash., and Ralph Gifford Cobourn of Bozman; a daughter, Charlotte Young of Westminster; a sister, Margaret Anne Lee of Sun City, Fla.; and nine grandchildren.

Garry Pepper Martin

Bell Atlantic manager

Garry Pepper Martin, a retired manager of rates and tariffs for Bell Atlantic Corp., died Saturday of cancer at his home in the Beaverbrook section of Columbia. He was 62.

Mr. Martin retired in 1993 after a 36-year career with the utility. He began working for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. in Charleston, W. Va., and moved to Columbia in 1967, one of the first residents to settle in the new city.

Born and raised in Charleston, he was a graduate of Mercersburg Academy and earned his bachelor's degree in 1957 from Washington and Lee University.

Services were to be held at 11:30 a.m. today at St. John's Episcopal Church, 9120 Frederick Road in Ellicott City, where he was a longtime member.

He is survived by his wife of 34 years, the former Nancy Seitz; a son, William A. Martin of New York City; a daughter, Elizabeth "Lisa" Martin Davis of Parkton; a brother, Daniel O. Martin of Vienna, W.Va.; his parents, James B. and Ruth O'Leary Martin of Charleston; and a granddaughter.

Memorial donations may be made to Hospice Services of Howard County, 5537 Twin Knolls Road, Suite 433, Columbia 21045; or St. John's Episcopal Church.

Agnes R. Holmes

Helped the elderly

Agnes Rhodes Holmes, a retired department store employee who was interested in the welfare of the elderly, died Sunday of liver disease at St. Joseph Medical Center. The Monkton resident was 89.

During her 55 years in Monkton, she regularly drove senior citizens to stores or their physicians' offices.

"She was still driving her car earlier this year until she became sick," said a son, Jack Holmes of Monkton. He described his mother as "knowing everyone in Monkton. She was a lifeline for the elderly of the Monkton community."

Mrs. Holmes retired from the Towson Hutzler's store in 1971 after working for more than 20 years in the notions department.

A memorial service for Mrs. Holmes was to be held at 10 a.m. today at St. James Church, 3100 Monkton Road, to which memorial donations may be made.

Other survivors include another son, Clint Holmes of Hagerstown; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Dorothea Slaughter

Active in communities

Dorothea T. Slaughter, who was active in the Longwoods and Easton communities, died of complications of a stroke Saturday at her home in Easton. She was 83.

Mrs. Slaughter was a former president of the Ladies of the Moose in Easton and a former member of the Miles River Yacht Club and the Talbot Dance Group.

The former Dorothea Todd was a Cambridge native and graduated from high school there. She was a legal secretary in Cambridge before marrying Hiram T. Slaughter in 1933.

The couple lived in Longwoods, where she was bookkeeper for the family farm, postmaster, a reception ist in a doctor's office and, for about five years before it was closed in the late 1960s, a teacher's aide at the one-room school in Longwoods. She was later a supporter of the restoration and preservation of the school, the Red Schoolhouse at Longwoods.

In 1984, she and her husband moved to Easton.

Mr. Slaughter, who had been a Talbot County commissioner for 20 years and its president for a time, died in 1988.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mrs. Slaughter was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at SS. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church in Easton.

She is survived by a son, Harold T. Slaughter of Towson.

Memorial donations may be made to the church or to the American Heart Association.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad