Kevin Jensen scored with 7:58 left in the second half to give Wisconsin-Green Bay a 1-0 victory over the Loyola men's team yesterday in the first round of the Loyola/Lotto Classic at Curley Field.
The loss ended a 35-game home unbeaten streak for the Greyhounds (0-1). Loyola had been 33-0-2 at Curley Field since losing to William and Mary, 2-1, Nov. 2, 1991.
Jensen headed in a crossing pass from Michael Fedoruk to lift Wisconsin-Green Bay (1-0), which was outshot by Loyola, 11-6. Freshman goalie Jon Lowery had six saves for Wisconsin-Green Bay, and Loyola's Joe Schaefer made two.
Loyola will face the University of San Francisco in a second-round game tomorrow at 2 p.m.
* Maryland 3, Seton Hall 2: Tod Herskovitz scored the winner unassisted at 58:05 to lift the Terps in the opening round of the UConn Classic in Storrs, Conn.
Mike McIlwain and Matt Larson also scored for Maryland, which outshot Seton Hall, 11-8.
* Old Dominion 3, Navy 1: Carlos Vasco scored twice as Old Dominion prevailed in the opening round of the Navy Invitational in Annapolis.
Vasco put the Monarchs (1-0) on top at the 18-minute mark off an assist from Larry Cypress. ODU made it 2-0 22 minutes later when Byron Mitchell scored off an assist from Raul Ovalle.
The Mids (0-1) pulled within a goal 11 minutes into the second half when Aaron Swenson scored off a pass from Trevor Ellis. Vasco added his second goal a minute later to secure the win.
* Towson State 1, St. Francis, N.Y. 0: Todd Hicks (Bowie) scored off a free kick with 23 seconds left in the second overtime to lift Towson State (1-0) in the Navy Invitational.
* UMBC 7, East Carolina 1: Mike Libber scored twice to power UMBC past East Carolina in the opening round of the Holiday Classic at Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg.
The Retrievers (1-0) scored twice in the first 10 minutes en route to a six-goal first half. John Swagart scored in the 32nd minute for the Pirates (0-1).
J. J. Kremer and Bryan Bugarin each had a goal and two assists for UMBC, which will play UMES today at 2:30 p.m.
* Mount St. Mary's 8, UMES 0: Jeff Link and Mark Southern each scored twice as Mount St. Mary's shut out UMES in the opening round of the Holiday Classic.
It is the second time in as many years that the Mount (1-0) has beaten the Fighting Hawks (0-1) by an 8-0 score in the season opener.
The Mount will face East Carolina today at 12:30.
* Rutgers-Camden 4, Goucher 0: Bill Stephen had a goal and an assist to lead host Rutgers-Camden past Goucher in the season opener for both teams.
* Navy 2, Temple 1: Freshman Ashlee Orr converted a penalty kick, the first goal of her college career, and junior Jen Meyer scored on a direct kick to boost Navy in Easton, Pa.
* Kean 3, Goucher 2: Sophomore forward Noel Meeke scored a hat trick, including the winner 50 seconds into the second half, as Kean defeated Goucher.