Allen D. MartynGovernment analystAllen Douglass Martyn, a...


Allen D. Martyn

Government analyst

Allen Douglass Martyn, a retired federal government analyst whose hobby was playing jazz piano, died July 20 of pneumonia at Mercy Medical Center. He was 76 and had lived in the Homewood Nursing Home since 1993.

The former Northwest Baltimore resident worked at the Woodlawn headquarters of the Social Security Administration for years as a disability claims analyst until retiring in 1985. Earlier, he had worked as a postal worker, a librarian at Fort Meade and a Customs Service inspector.

Mr. Martyn, who began studying piano as a child, collected jazz recordings and sheet music.

Born in Henderson, N.C., he moved to Baltimore with his family as a child. He was a 1936 graduate of Douglass High School and attended what then was Morgan State College and the McCoy College of the Johns Hopkins University.

He served with the Army in Liberia from 1946 and was discharged in 1949 with the rank of staff sergeant.

A memorial service will be held at noon tomorrow at Union Baptist Church, 1219 Druid Hill Ave., Baltimore.

Survivors include his wife of 37 years, the former Doris R. Johnson; two cousins, both of Baltimore; and several nieces and nephews.

Memorial donations may be made to Child First Program, c/o Union Baptist Church.

John R. Shea

Manufacturers' rep

John R. Shea, a manufacturers' representative, died Sunday of heart and respiratory disease at his Murray Hill home. He was 87.

He owned several patents on window structures, and sold glass and related building materials at wholesale.

Mr. Shea was born in Tokyo, where his father, an electrical engineer for Western Electric Co., was on loan as a consultant to the Japanese government. He was raised in Maplewood, N.J., and moved to Baltimore as a young man when his father became head of the company's Point Breeze plant.

He was an ensign stationed at Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack in 1941, and was discharged with the rank of commander at the end of World War II.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Wednesday.

He is survived by his wife of 46 years, the former Patricia Lindsay; three sons, John R. Shea III of Alexandria, Va., and James L. and Steven L. Shea, both of Owings Mills; a daughter, Lindsay S. Hardesty of Ruxton; a sister, Helen S. Wells of Jenson Beach, Fla.; a brother, Robert D. Shea of Hollywood, Fla.; and 10 grandchildren.

K? Memorial donations may be made to the Arthritis Foundation.

Melvin L. Tutt Sr.

Vice principal

Melvin L. Tutt Sr., a former juvenile probation officer in the Baltimore area who was coordinator of a program to help troubled youths in Atlanta, died Sunday after a heart attack at the home of his fiancee in Baltimore. He was 46.

Mr. Tutt left the state Department of Juvenile Services in the early 1990s after more than 20 years of service and moved to Atlanta to become vice principal of a high school.

Born in Baltimore, he graduated from Douglass High School in 1966, then served in the Air Force. He earned an associate's degree at what was then City College of Baltimore, a bachelor's degree at Morgan State University and a master's degree at Coppin State College.

Services were held yesterday. He is survived by two sons, Melvin L. Tutt Jr. and Steven Tutt; his mother, Rachel Coleman; a brother, Gordon Tutt; five sisters, Thelma Williams, Jacqueline Whiten, Donna Satchel and Caroline and Beverly Tutt; and his fiancee, Jacqueline Johnson. All are of Baltimore.

Samuel Mortimer Jr.

Chief building inspector

Samuel H. Mortimer Jr., retired chief building inspector for Baltimore City, died Wednesday of cancer at his home in Villa Nova. He was 76.

Mr. Mortimer retired in 1993 from the Department of Housing and Community Development after 45 years of service. He had helped to write the city's building code and won a mayoral citation for his contribution to the revision of the plumbing code.

For many years, he served on the state Advisory Commission on Industrialized Building and Mobile Homes, and on other city and state boards and commissions.

The Baltimore native graduated from Forest Park High School, worked for the Eastern Stainless Steel Co. and earned a civil engineering degree from the University of Maryland.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane in Texas.

He is survived by his wife, the former Patricia J. Rickman; two stepdaughters, Terri S. Reitz of Bowie and Sharon L. Keska of Glen Burnie; three stepsons, Ronald C. Dwyer, Timothy M. Dwyer and Mark Klein, all of Baltimore; a brother, Thomas Mortimer of Lompoc, Calif.; and four grandchildren.

Constance P. Altig

Private duty nurse

Constance P. Altig, who worked as a nurse in Columbia and Silver Spring, died Tuesday at a hospital in Springfield, Ill., of complications of diabetes. She was 63.

Mrs. Altig, who retired in 1990, had lived in Columbia for 20 years before moving to Farmersville, Ill., in 1992. She had specialized in caring for Alzheimer's disease patients as a private duty nurse and at nursing homes and other institutions.

She was born Constance P. Arnett in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and graduated from Graham School of Nursing in Canton, Ill.

Services were to be held today in Springfield. She is survived by her husband, Richard A. Altig; a daughter, Sharon K. Ludwig of Columbia; a son, James R. Altig of Millersville; and three grandchildren.

Wayne H. Iglehart

Mechanical designer

Wayne Howard Iglehart, a civil mechanical designer for the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co., died Sunday of cancer at Calvert Memorial Hospital in Prince Frederick. The Lusby resident was 47.

He was born and raised in Waverly, and graduated from Baltimore City College in 1967. He was drafted into the Army in 1967 and served with the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam. He was discharged with the rank of specialist 4 in 1971. His decorations included the Vietnam Service Medal and Campaign Medal.

He is survived by his wife of 10 years, the former Donna Reed; a daughter, Jennifer Iglehart of Edgewood; his mother, Grace Iglehart of Towson; and a grandson.

Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 43025, Baltimore 21236-0025; or Calvert Memorial Hospital, 100 Hospital Road, Prince Frederick 20678.

Services were held Tuesday.

Norman Dent Downing, 85, a retired assistant real estate agent for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad who lived in Pikesville, died Monday of cancer at Northwest Hospital Center.

The Baltimore native was a 1928 graduate of City College and attended the Johns Hopkins University.

Services were held Wednesday. He is survived by his wife of 64 years, the former Aileen V. Fritter; two sons, Norman "Skip" Downing of Columbia and Ronald F. Downing of Gettysburg, Pa.; nine grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Jack Horn, 86, a Cockeysville resident and retired salesman and volunteer, died July 5 at the Northwest Hospital Center of pneumonia.

Born Jacob Horn in Rahway, N.J., he came to Baltimore during World War II as a shipyard worker. No services were planned, and there were no known close survivors.

Mark Alan Hambsch, 38, a native of Washington who had been an accountant at banks and for a hospital, died Wednesday of complications of AIDS in San Diego.

No services were planned for Mr. Hambsch, whose survivors include his father, retired Navy Cmdr. Philip P. Hambsch of Columbia; and a brother, Kevin Hambsch, and two sisters, Laurel Hambsch and Troy King, all of San Diego.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad