Percy Humphrey, 90, who played trumpet regularly...


Percy Humphrey, 90, who played trumpet regularly at the famed Preservation Hall in New Orleans until March and was the city's oldest active jazz musician, died Saturday of heart problems.

The peak of his career came in the 1940s and 1950s, when he led the Eureka Brass Band, the premier marching band for parades and funerals.

"I loved hearing that trumpet soar on top of it," said jazz historian Dick Allen, who met Mr. Humphrey in 1946. "Percy never relied on cheap vaudeville tricks. . . . Percy always came up with something original."

In recent years, with some of the power and most of the stamina gone, Mr. Humphrey enthralled fans with vocals on old-time tunes.

Dorothy McHugh, 87, a one-time Ziegfeld Follies burlesque dancer whose plaintive cry, "I've fallen and I can't get up," made a national success of a medical calling device, died in Philadelphia Wednesday after several strokes. She was hired about 10 years ago by Lifeline Systems Inc. of Cambridge, Mass., and was part of a marketing campaign that became the butt of jokes for several years.

Viktor Barannikov, 54, the former security minister who was imprisoned for his role in an armed uprising against President Boris Yeltsin, died in Moscow Friday of a heart attack. The career police officer was appointed Russia's interior minister in 1990 and was tapped by Mr. Yeltsin to head the Security Ministry, a successor to the former Soviet KGB secret service, in 1992. He was ousted in an anti-corruption probe in July 1993. That September he joined a group of lawmakers who resisted Mr. Yeltson's order to disband the old parliament and was arrested. After five months in prison, he was released with other hard-line ringleaders under an amnesty granted by the new parliament.

Billy Watson, 56, president and publisher of the Columbus (Ga.) Ledger-Enquirer, died in Columbus on Saturday of a heart attack after being felled by heat stroke while working in his yard. He earned a journalism degree in 1960 from the University of Georgia, where he was editor of the student newspaper and worked part time for the Athens Banner-Herald. After working at the Cordele Dispatch and Wilcox County Chronicle and serving two years in the Army, he joined the Macon Telegraph in 1963, became editor of the paper in 1978 and general manager in 1983. He became president and publisher of the Ledger-Enquirer in 1987. He was president of the Georgia Associated Press Association and chairman of the Georgia AP News Council. He was a past president of the Georgia Press Association.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad