Workplace diversity to be discussed
The Howard County Job Service Employer Committee is inviting all employers to a discussion on diversity in the workplace at 3 p.m. Wednesday t Howard Community College's Gateway Business and Technology Training Center, 6751 Columbia Gateway Drive.
Mauricio Velasquez, director of diversity and gender equity training for Berkshire Associates, will lead the workshop.
Loyola College plans open house
The Columbia campus of Loyola College, 7135 Minstrel Way, will hold an open house for its graduate business programs from noon to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 8.
Information or reservations: 617-5064.
Chamber announces July, August events
The Howard County Chamber of Commerce has announced its schedule of events for July and August:
* "Business after Business," 5 p.m. Tuesday at Nixon's Farm on Route 32 in West Friendship. Cost is $20; $10 for members.
* "What's the Net Worth?" a brown bag lunch, will be offered from noon to 1 p.m. Monday and July 28, Aug. 1 and 3. People from local businesses will talk about their experiences on the Internet. Admission is $5.
* "Alternative Financing for Small Businesses," a brown bag lunch, will be offered from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday. Ellin Dize, consultant to the Small Business Development Center in Columbia, is the guest speaker. Bring a lunch; drinks will be provided. The cost is $5.
* "General Business Legal Issues," a brown bag lunch, will be offered from noon to 1 p.m. Aug. 9. Ellen Koplow of Levan, Schimel, Belman & Abramson, will discuss legal issues in business. Drinks will be provided. The cost is $5.
* Business after Business is set for 5 p.m. Aug. 22 at Fairway Hills Golf Club in Columbia. This is a chance to see the Columbia Association's new golf course. The cost is $20; $10 for members.
* "Small Business and Computer Technology," a brown bag lunch, will be offered from noon to 1 p.m. Aug. 23. Chuck Sherman of Computer Solutions GSD is the guest speaker. The cost is $5.
Rouse Fund taking applications for loans
The Jim Rouse Entrepreneurial Fund, a not-for-profit corporation created to assist small businesses with start-up and expansion costs, is accepting applications for fall loans.
The fund will give preference to businesses that have an economic impact in Howard County.
The loans will range from $5,000 to $50,000.
Businesses must pay an application fee of $10 and submit a completed business plan.
'Decision Making' topic of counseling workshop
Careerscope will sponsor a career counseling workshop "Decision Making for the Two Career Household" from 10 a.m. to noon Aug. 5 at 10025 Governor Warfield Parkway in Columbia.
The program will focus on how and why people make decisions, what to examine when making a decision and how to arrive at an agreeable decision based on the needs of the parties involved.
Preregistration is required. The fee is $15 per person and $25 per pair.
Emmerling Designs wins two awards
Lisa Sarubin Emmerling Designs in Ellicott City received two awards from the Maryland Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America, second place in the brochure category and second place for direct mail.
Both were for work involving the Bet Yeladim School.
Dr. Dean Drosnes named a partner
Dr. Dean L. Drosnes has been named a partner in the Ear, Nose & Throat Specialty Group, which has offices in Columbia, Laurel and Glen Burnie.
Dr. Drosnes graduated from Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia and completed his surgery residency at Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia. Chapel Valley Landscape Company in Woodbine has added two people to its Virginia staff.
Derek Smith will be the manager of the Virginia Commercial Landscape Branch. He is a horticulturist with nursery experience.
Alan Skipper has joined the staff as a marketing representative specializing in medium-scale commercial projects and residences.
Grace Shank hired by Elkridge bank
Grace E. Shank of Westminster has been hired by Elkridge Bank as assistant vice president and residential loan officer.
She has worked at Classic Mortgage Corp. in Columbia.
Richard Collins joins Commercial Insurance
Richard E. Collins of Columbia has joined Commercial Insurance Managers.
He is working as an employee benefit manager.
Mr. Collins' insurance background includes experience in the fields of life, disability, dental and medical insurance.
Dr. Nancy Compton opens family practice
Dr. Nancy Compton of Ellicott City has opened a family practice.
The practice is located at 3905 National Drive in Burtonsville.
Dr. Compton is a graduate of the University of Virginia's medical school.
She previously worked at the Primary Care Specialists in Ellicott City.