25 Years Ago (Week of June 28-July 4, 1970)
* Emergency legislation was introduced at a meeting of the Howard County Council to provide funds to cover a budgetary shortfall of $800,000, which had become evident nine days into the fiscal year. The funds were needed to cover five separate sewerage projects. * A town meeting was held in the Village of Oakland Mills so that residents and the developer's Architectural Committee could air their respective views on architectural aesthetics. Some residents complained that the similarity of their homes produced a "ticky-tacky" effect. The director of the architectural committee responded that there was "monotony in having a different house every time" and that "change and movement can be distracting to the eye."
50 Years Ago (Week of July 1-7, 1945)
* A new railroad siding, running to the Doughnut Corporation of America's facility near the B&O; depot in Ellicott City, was opened.
Information for this column was compiled by Diane Mullaly from the files of the Howard County Historical Society's Library.