Boy shot Thursday dies teen is charged as adult


A 14-year-old boy was charged as an adult with murder last night after a 12-year-old boy who was shot Thursday night died at the Johns Hopkins Children's Center.

Officers charged Anthony Jawara Mayo of the 2300 block of E. Biddle St. after Terrell Antwant Forbes died at the Hopkins center at 6:30 p.m., according to a police spokesman.

The suspect, known on the street as "Wa Wa," was being held at the Eastern District station.

Terrell was shot at his home in the 2400 block of E. Fayette St. A weapon has not been found, said Agent Robert W. Weinhold Jr., the city police spokesman.

A motive for the shooting was unclear. Police said Terrell and another youth were arguing in the kitchen just before 11 p.m. Thursday. Terrell was shot once above his right eye.

Terrell was the 16th child under the age of 16 shot in the city and treated at the Hopkins' pediatric trauma center this year, said Debbie Bangledorf, a hospital spokeswoman. None of the others died. Last year at this time, 10 children with gunshot wounds had been treated at Hopkins.

A friend of the victim's family, who identified herself only as Betty, said she and Terrell's mother, Bridgett Jackson, 29, had stepped out to get a bus pass from a relative when the shooting apparently occurred. They were gone 15 minutes.

The family friend said that When she and Ms. Jackson returned to the house, they saw a youth running out the front door.

The victim's 10-year-old brother, who was home when the shooting occurred, met his mother at the door and said, "Mommy, Terrell got shot in the eye," Betty said. "At first, I thought he was just playing."

Ms. Jackson, who has five children between 1 and 12 years old, went inside and found her wounded son -- an eighth-grader at Hampstead Elementary School -- lying on the kitchen floor. The 10-year-old brother called 911, police said.

Agent Weinhold said Terrell and another youth were dancing when they got into an argument. He said the other youth left the house, returned 15 minutes later with a gun and "without provocation" shot Terrell in the head.

Another family friend, Towanda Greene, 26, said Terrell may have tried to get his friend to leave the house, sparking the dispute.

"He didn't want anybody in the house when his mother wasn't home," Ms. Greene said.

She described Terrell as a "good" child. "He respected his mother. She's raising all the children by herself. She doesn't have anything."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad