The Fourth of July celebration tomorrow at Carroll County Farm Museum in Westminster will cause traffic patterns to change and parking restrictions to go into effect for the day.
The event will be from noon to dusk. Fireworks will begin at 9:30 p.m.
Those who attend may tune radios to WTTR-AM 1470 for traffic reports before and after the fireworks.
Museum and volunteer parkers, fire departments, and state and city police told organizers that last year they had the least amount of trouble emptying the parking lot because of the radio broadcast, said Dottie Freeman, administrator at Carroll County Farm Museum.
"Unloading the lots and getting the traffic out can be a hassle and we can be here until after midnight," she said.
Last year, everyone was out before midnight. Signs will be posted this year directing drivers and state police will direct traffic.
"In case of an ambulance call, we do not want any roads blocked," Ms. Freeman said.
"We do suggest that people park on the farm museum parking lot. It does benefit those trying to get out and home safely."
Here is a list of the road restrictions:
* Center Street and Kate Wagner Road will close at 9 p.m. to incoming traffic.
* No parking will be allowed along Center Street, Gist Road or Kate Wagner Road.
* All traffic leaving the museum lot will use two lanes and be directed out Center Street toward Route 140. Vehicles will be allowed to turn left onto Green Street and Main Street, or go to Route 140.
* East Main Street and East Green Street will be closed to through traffic between South Center Street and Washington Road.
* All traffic leaving the Agricultural Center parking lot must use Smith Avenue to Gist Road to Kate Wagner Road. Starting at Gist Road and Smith Avenue, both lanes of Gist Road will be one way to Kate Wagner Road. Traffic will then turn right to Route 27, or left to Route 32, Old Washington Road.
Traffic headed toward Route 32 will be directed toward Route 97. Traffic entering Westminster from Washington Road will be directed to Route 140 via Manchester Avenue or routed to Route 97 by a right turn on Main Street.
State and Westminster police believe these traffic patterns and parking restrictions will provide motorists with a minimal delay.
No pets or alcohol are permitted on museum grounds. Information: 848-7775, 876-2667 or 1-800-654-4645.