Finding a job overseas


The Association for International Practical Training has HTC programs that allow students, professionals and hospitality workers to work abroad in any of 63 countries. from Albania to Yugoslavia. The most popular destinations by far are France, Germany, Britain, the Netherlands and Switzerland.

In order to qualify, most participants must first secure employment abroad. Then the association arranges for a work permit that lasts up to 18 months.

The programs are open to students and professionals of all ages, as long as the applicant has either education or work experience in the same field for which he or she is applying for a work permit. Visas are available in every field except for certain highly regulated ones such as medicine and flight training.

The application fee is $75 for students and $150 for non-students.

For more information, write the Association for International Practical Training, 10400 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 250, Columbia 21044-3510; or call (410) 997-2200.

Through the Council on International Educational Exchange, college students and recent graduates qualify for three- to six-month work permits in Britain, New Zealand, Ireland and Canada.

Those with language skills can work in France, Germany or Costa Rica. The council also offers the Robert B. Bailey scholarship for minority students to work or study abroad.

The one-page application costs $160 to submit.

For more information, write the Council on International Educational Exchange, 205 E. 42nd St., New York, N.Y.

10017-5706; or call (212) 661-1414.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad