A record $23,218,000 has been raised by the 1995 campaign of the Baltimore Jewish community's chief philanthropic organization.
The announcement by Morton J. Macks, chairman of the drive, came Tuesday evening at the annual meeting of Associated Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore, which began a yearlong celebration of its 75th anniversary.
At the meeting at Temple Oheb Shalom on Park Heights Avenue, a traditional Klezmer Band played East European tunes amid towers of blue and white balloons. Children wore blue "75th Anniversary" sashes. A teen-age chorus sang a song composed for the occasion.
An agreement in 1920 to merge Federated Jewish Charities and United Hebrew Charities led to the creation of Baltimore's "Associated," as the agency has been called since its first meeting on Jan. 16, 1921. In 75 years, its campaigns have raised about $500 million for local, national and foreign causes.
The 1995 total -- contributed by nearly 20,000 people -- exceeded by $600,000 the $22.6 million raised in the 1994 campaign, but the record sum fell nearly $300,000 short of the $23.5 million goal. The Jewish population in the area is about 100,000.
Sixty percent of the funds raised will be spent locally through 17 affiliated agencies with educational, humanitarian, health and social-service purposes. Forty percent is allocated to the United Jewish Appeal.
At the meeting, new officers of the Associated were elected. Benjamin Kuntz succeeded Richard M. Lansburgh as board chairman.
The biennial Lester Levy Humanitarian Award was presented posthumously to Louis J. Fox, a founder of Fox Chevrolet who died Feb. 24 at 83. A sculpture by artist Dimitry Germann given to Mr. Fox's family commemorated his philanthropic activities. He was on the boards of Jewish Family and Children's Service and Sinai Hospital, chairman of the 1956 and 1957 Associated campaigns, a founder of the Jewish Historical Society and first president of the Jewish Community Center.