Although cleaned up considerably from its original cable form, a clever two-part episode of the series "Dream On" captures our obsession with the personal peccadilloes of our political figures. And Fox sets it up with a nosy special on celebrity romances.
* "The Best Defense" (8 p.m.-8:30 p.m., WMAR, Channel 2) -- TTC Here's another of those apparently failed pilots we see every summer. Steve Landesberg, who was the erudite detective on "Barney Miller," plays a public defender in Seattle, and Rita Moreno is a tough judge. ABC.
* "Celebrity First Loves" (8 p.m.-9 p.m., WBFF, Channel 45) -- "Beverly Hills 90210" co-stars Brian Austin Green and Tiffani-Amber Thiessen -- who are an off-camera couple, too -- present the romantic reminiscences of stars including Teri Garr, Oprah Winfrey, Jerry Seinfeld, Suzanne Somers and romance novel cover-boy Fabio. Fox.
* "Baseball: Home" (9 p.m.-11:30 p.m., MPT, channels 22, 67) -- Don't you wish Ken Burns would take this series into extra innings for a look at the grand old game in the wake of the strike? Alas, the final episode of the repeating nine-part series does not get that far, but it includes highlights of the 1975 World Series and a profile of Nolan Ryan. PBS.
* "Dream On" (9 p.m.-10 p.m., WBFF, Channel 45) -- Remember Gennifer Flowers, Jessica Hahn and Rita Jenerette? The real-life figures of recent sex scandals play reporters in an episode that satirizes the personal side of our political process and the tabloid media. George Hamilton and Teri Garr play a political couple with whom Martin (Brian Benben) becomes involved. Fox.
* "Breakfast Time" (7 a.m.-9 a.m., fX) -- The daily morning program on the year-old cable network of Fox Television (seen on only some area cable systems) launches "fX in Baltimore -- LIVE!" All week, a number of programs will be telecast from Charm City. (See story, Page 1D)
* "Discovery Showcase: River of Stone" (9 p.m.-10 p.m., The Discovery Channel) -- Robert Redford, who narrated his film "A River Runs Through It," also narrates this documentary history of the mighty Colorado. The show re-creates the perilous journey of explorer John Wesley Powell through the Grand Canyon.