1. Only amateur photographers are eligible. Anyone who derives less than 5 percent of his or her income from photography is considered an amateur. Anyone is eligible except employees of the Times Mirror Co. and their families, and employees of Eastman Kodak Co. and their families.
2. No rules or information about the contest will be given over the phone. The winners will be announced in October.
3. Black-and-white or color pictures taken after Jan. 1, 1993, are eligible. Pictures previously published or entered in the Kodak International Newspaper Snapshot Awards (KINSA) contest or any other competition are not eligible. The contest ends at 5 p.m. July 21, 1995. All entries should be mailed to Sun Magazine Photo Contest, The Sun, 501 N. Calvert St., Baltimore, Md. 21278.
4. Snapshots may be taken with any make of camera. Winners of the Sun Magazine's contest will be chosen without regard to brand of film used, but only those pictures taken on Kodak film and printed on Kodak paper will be eligible for entry in the KINSA contest.
5. A total of six pictures may be entered by each contestant. Contestant's name, address, daytime phone number, Social Security number and age (if 16 and under) must be written RTC clearly, in ink, on the back of each print or on each transparency mount. Color or black-and-white prints may not be larger than 8 by 12 inches. They should not be mounted. Color entries may be submitted as prints or transparencies.
6. No pictures will be returned. Sun Magazine assumes no responsibility for negatives or prints.
7. Contestants may submit pictures to only one newspaper participating in the Kodak International Newspaper Snapshot Awards.
8. A winning entrant must sign a statement on request that the picture, or one closely similar to the same subject or situation, has not previously won awards in any major contests, is not now entered in another contest, has not been nor will be entered in another photo contest, and has not been published in any copyrighted publication.
9. Important: Be sure you know the names and addresses of any recognizable person in your picture. Upon request, you must be able to obtain the written consent of such person or persons to permit use of the picture.
10. Taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Any cash prize won by a minor will be awarded to a parent or guardian.
Categories and prizes
The categories this year are abstract (the artist's view), landscape and portrait. One color and one black-and-white winner will be chosen in each of the three categories. We also will choose one junior winner from among all the entries sent by people ages 16 and under. The winners will receive $250 each; one also will be awarded a grand prize of $1,000. Winning photos taken on Kodak film and printed on Kodak paper will be forwarded to KINSA to compete for cash prizes totaling $52,500.