Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Fire ruins shed near apartments

THE BALTIMORE SUN

Fire destroyed a storage shed yesterday behind Chase Apartments at 9 Chase St. in Westminster.

No injuries were reported, but the frame building was destroyed, said Frank Rauschenberg of the State Fire Marshal's office. The cause of the fire, which was reported at 10:39 a.m., was unknown.

Lt. Michael Stoner of the Westminster Volunteer Fire Department said flames were coming out of the top of the building when he arrived shortly after the first engine got to the scene.

Firefighters from Westminster, Pleasant Valley, Reese and Manchester quickly brought the blaze under control. The shed, formerly a parking garage, was only a few feet from the apartment building.

Witnesses said they saw flames coming from the building, but had no idea what could have started the blaze. Firefighters said bales of hay and old couches and chairs were stored in the shed.

Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. was called to cut power to the apartment building after electrical wires above the shed were burned, along with a part of the pole, which was charred by the flames.

BGE spokesman Dan Engles said a cable to the building was burned and had to be replaced.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
46°