Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Police arrest 2 on robbery charges after chase


Anne Arundel County police arrested two men on robbery charges yesterday after a chase into South Baltimore that wrecked a police cruiser, officials said.

The incident began about 3:30 a.m. when two men walked into a Wendy's restaurant in the 6900 block of Ritchie Highway and pulled out semiautomatic handguns, police said. The gunmen ordered two employees into a freezer and had the manager go to the office. One of the men held a gun to the manager's head and made him open the safe, police said.

The manager handed over a bank bag containing an undisclosed amount of money. The robbers ran from the restaurant and drove off in a 1992 Nissan, police said. Restaurant workers gave police the tag number and a description of the car.

Officer Richard Morris, who was on routine patrol, saw the car as it sped north on Ritchie Highway near the Baltimore Beltway, police said. He flashed his emergency lights and turned on his siren, but the car continued into Baltimore.

Officer Morris followed until he hit a curb at Cherry Hill and Giles roads, damaging the cruiser's undercarriage and front end, said Sgt. Rick Tabor, a police spokesman. Officer Morris lost sight of the Nissan during the accident.

Meanwhile, Officer Mark Fraser went to Wendy's, questioned the manager and learned that an employee had been fired Monday.

Although one of the robbers wore a white handkerchief as a mask, the manager said his general physical description matched that of the employee, police said. Officer Fraser took down the employee's address and went to the man's home in the 1300 block of Slater Road in Cherry Hill.

Outside the house, police found the Nissan and the money bag from Wendy's with the cash still in it, police said. Officers took two men from the house and drove them back to the Wendy's, where employees identified them, police said.

David Isaiah Allen, 18, of the Slater Road address and Toyaus Sego Everett, 21, of the 800 block of George St. in Edgewood were charged with robbery with a deadly weapon and the use of a handgun in the commission of a felony. Mr. Allen had worked at the Wendy's, police said. The men were being held in the Northern District lockup, Sergeant Tabor said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad