* Hess Shoes has chosen Thomas V. Kane as vice president of operations.
* Biospherics Inc. has elected Arthur S. Locke III vice president of finance.
* Sylvan Learning Systems appointed John K. Hoey vice president of human resources.
* The Becker Group, commercial seasonal decorators, has added Harold Adams II, Linda Maxwell and Melissa Sprankle to its staff as project coordinators.
* Baltimore Magazine named Margie Gilmore advertising and marketing director.
* Catholic Relief Services appointed Albert E. Brill director of development.
* Cornerstone selected Erik Izo as creative director for the Baltimore-based advertising agency.
* Freed & Associates named Melanie I. Appel a media buyer/planner.
* Hartt & Co. appointed James M. Baldwin an account executive.
Legal and insurance
* Semmes, Bowen & Semmes has admitted Michael K. Wyatt and Mark D. Laponsky as partners in the firm's labor and employment law group.
* Ellin & Tucker business, tax and litigation consulting accountants, named Donald S. Miller manager, audit, accounting and consulting department.
* Coyne & McClean, accountants and management consultants, has appointed Denise Peddicord Fritsche a senior accountant.
* Northwest Hospital Center has named R. Craig Law executive director of the Northwest Primary Care Group.
* Preferred Health Network appointed Marion L. Mullauer vice president of information systems.
* Helix Health System has chosen Steven S. Cohen vice president for operational development.
Commercial real estate
* Casey & Associates/ONCOR appointed Jay Culver an industrial sales and leasing specialist in the Columbia office and John C. Childs Jr. as manager of the Towson office.
* KLNB Inc. has named Alan M. Coppola to its office sales and leasing staff.