Steve Garvey injures his thumb on July 29, ending his consecutive-games streak at a National League- record 1,207.
* George Brett has a home run taken away for having pine tar on his bat more than 18 inches from the knob on July 24 against the New York Yankees.
* Gaylord Perry, Carl Yastrzemski and Johnny Bench all retire.
* The Brooklyn Bridge turns 100.
* Chicago and Philadelphia elect African-American mayors.
* Lotto first appears in Maryland.
* Baltimore opens its subway.
* Congress approves the MX missile.
* "M*A*S*H" finale records the largest rating and share for any TV show.
* Michael Jackson (left) scores six Top 10 singles.