A Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. feeder line problem in the Westminster area caused 784 customers to lose electrical power for almost one hour yesterday afternoon.
The power failure caused customers from Englar Road on the north to the YMCA on Sykesville Road on the south to lose electricity, a company spokeswoman said. Some traffic signals also were affected and state police notified the highway department to close Hook Road between Route 32 and Route 97 because of a backup of vehicles on Hook Road.
The power interruption started at 4:12 p.m. and all customers had service restored by 5:10 p.m., the spokeswoman said.
Fire equipment from Westminster, Reese and Gamber were dispatched to the YMCA when the fire alarm sounded. The alarm activated when the power went off but there was no fire, officials said.
Westminster to flush fire hydrants
The Department of Public Works will flush fire hydrants in Westminster from 8 p.m. to midnight Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
The areas affected will be: Furnace Hills, Wakefield, Avondale and Carroll Lutheran Village.
The flushing will cause some discoloration to the water and residents are advised to refrain from doing laundry the next day.
Affected residents should open all faucets first thing in the morning and run until clear water is received. Residents should store enough water the night before to accommodate early morning consumption.
The water, though discolored, is still fully treated.
* Westminster: Westminster and Reese were dispatched to a house on Tall Pines Drive for an electrical fire at 4:14 p.m. yesterday. Units were out 20 minutes.
Westminster and Pleasant Valley responded to a pole fire on Englar Road at 4:14 p.m. yesterday. Units were out 10 minutes.
Westminster and Reese were dispatched to a natural gas line leak in the 100 block of Liberty St. at 10:58 a.m. yesterday. Fire officials said a construction company installing a large gas line discovered the leak and shut off the line to await BGE crews. No one was injured. Units were out 15 minutes.