THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Man pleads guilty to killing guest, injuring another at Labor Day party


An Annapolis man admitted in Anne Arundel Circuit Court yesterday to stabbing an acquaintance to death in a drunken haze and then calmly directing police to the body and admitting the murder.

Warren Joseph Guy, 40, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the stabbing death of Samuel L. Simms, 46, and to assault with intent to murder for stabbing and wounding Roy J. Wyrick, 32, the same day.

Assistant State's Attorney John LeCornu said both victims were guests at a daylong Labor Day party at Guy's apartment in the first block of Madison Place.

He said Mr. Wyrick of the 2700 block of Riverview Drive in Pasadena was stabbed in the abdomen about 2 p.m. during an argument with Guy.

He was taken by another guest at the party to Anne Arundel Medical Center, where he initially told police that he was stabbed in a robbery attempt because he feared the defendant, said Annapolis police Detective Brenda Higgs.

About seven hours later, Mr. Simms, who was homeless, was stabbed twice in the chest by Guy with the same lock-blade, 4-inch knife, Mr. LeCornu said.

When police arrived at Guy's home after the second stabbing they found Guy smeared with blood and seated in a living room chair. Mr. LeCornu quoted the defendant as telling the officers, "He's in the bathroom. Get him out of my house."

Mr. LeCornu said Guy repeatedly admitted to the murder and was generally cooperative with police until they asked him his name at the Annapolis police station.

Mr. LeCornu said he refused to give it saying, "Do you think I'm stupid? I'm not going to tell you my name. I just stabbed a guy 25 times."

Mr. LeCornu said Mr. Wyrick, who was not in court yesterday, spent five days in the hospital recuperating from his wound, but did not suffer any permanent injuries.

Mr. LeCornu said he agreed to accept a plea to second-degree murder because the defendant was so intoxicated at the time of the killing that the defense could argue his condition negated the specific intent to kill required for first-degree murder.

Guy could get up to 60 years in prison when he is sentenced July 28 by Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr., he said.

"The state's objective in this was a lengthy period of incarceration and that is will within the discretion of the sentencing judge with this plea," Mr. LeCornu said.

Timothy D. Murnane, Guy's lawyer, said his client was an Army veteran with a history of mental disorders and alcohol abuse.

The judge yesterday directed Guy to undergo a psychiatric exam before sentencing.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad