* McCormick & Co., based in Hunt Valley, appointed J. Denise Layfield director of materials and logistics, James D. Kershner, ingredients unit plant manager, and Joanne P. Glaeser, manager, finance and administration, for the joint venture McCormick and Wild Inc.
* FTI Corp. named Robin Scharf senior producer, visual communications, and Sandra Tomlinson project manager, vehicle accident reconstruction group, at the Annapolis-based litigation consulting firm.
* EA Engineering, Science, and Technology named Charles R. Flynn senior vice president.
* Redwood Grill chose Michael Mitchell as executive chef for the new South Calvert Street eatery, which will feature Maryland seafood and locally grown fruits and vegetables.
* The Learning Group Corp., Rockville-based developmental consultants, appointed Joe King vice president of the Training Services Group.
* 98 Rock, a.k.a. WIYY-FM, named Hugues Jean local sales manager.
* Catterton Printing, of Waldorf, appointed Michael Martz plant manager.
* Callahan & Co. appointed Bill Senge, formerly with VanSant Dugdale, as senior art director.
Legal and insurance
* Smith & Downey named Thomas J. Manning Jr. and Wendy Widmann partners in the law firm.
* Hodes, Ulman, Pessin & Katz admitted Jill B. Swerdlin as a litigation associate.
* Ferris, Baker Watts appointed Alex C. Hart and Charles W. Place vice presidents.
* First United National Bank & Trust, of Oakland, named Julie E. Hill commercial services officer for the Western Maryland institution.
* Provident Bank of Maryland has chosen Mark D. Buren as vice president, commercial banking, asset-based lending department.
* PSA Financial Center named Mary Deitrick, Charles R. McGough and J. William Kokie account executives.
* Peter Fillat Architects said Paul A. DeMillo has joined the firm as an associate principal.
* Prudential Health Care Plan appointed Ruth M. Paine director of provider relations.
* Sheppard Pratt Health Plan named Dale G. Bruce sales manager.