Union Bridge Lions Club recently celebrated its 50th anniversary of service in the Union Bridge community.
More than 2,000 guests helped past and current members mark the occasion.
In attendance were town officials, local business people, surrounding service organizations, representatives from Lions Clubs in Carroll, Frederick and Washington counties.
Lions District Gov. Roy Cool, members of his cabinet, 14 past district governors and two past directors of Lions International also were there.
Five generations of Lions Clubs were represented at the celebration.
Sponsored by Westminster Lions Club, the Union Bridge club was chartered Jan. 12, 1945.
The Westminster club had been sponsored by Emmitsburg, which in turn had been sponsored by Frederick Lions Club.
The Union Bridge club has sponsored clubs in Taneytown, Libertytown-Unionville and New Windsor. In turn, these clubs helped to form the Terra Rubra and Sulphur Springs Lions Clubs.
Four of the original 28 members, J. Cassell Engle, Charles Minnick, Paul R. Niswander and Monroe R. Pfoutz, received certificates for their roles in forming the club.
Isaac A. Sayler, D. Lavan Bankert and Edward L. Williar were recognized as "50-Year Monarchs" for their continuous service from shortly after the club was chartered until now.
Union Bridge Mayor Perry Jones read a proclamation honoring the Lions Club for its service activities in the community.
Melvin Jones Fellowships, the highest recognition within Lions International, were presented to Union Bridge members Isaac Sayler, John Laudermilch and Wayne Adams.
Within the past year, three other members -- Stanley Holcolmbe, Cicil Massie and Alfred Yingling -- also received this award.
Each award represented at least $1,000 raised for the Lions Club International SightFirst Project.
The goal of the project is to eliminate preventable blindness in the world over the next decade.
Union Bridge Lions Club raised nearly $8,000 for the SightFirst project.
* Taneytown: Taneytown responded to a trash container fire in the 5100 block of Allendale Lane at 11:04 a.m. yesterday. Units were out 24 minutes.