'John Doe 2' look-alikes meet hassles, suspicion THE OKLAHOMA CITY BOMBING


OKEMAH, Okla. -- Imagine looking like John Doe No. 2, the elusive confederate of Timothy McVeigh, the suspect in the Oklahoma bombing.

By yesterday, the FBI had received more than 10,000 calls from people offering clues and had interviewed more than a dozen men resembling the sketch of the dark-haired, square-jawed, tattooed man the FBI calls John Doe No. 2.

And while agents have not yet found their man, the hunt has sent jolts -- ranging from annoying inconvenience to harassment to the loss of a job -- into the lives of men whose only bond is a resemblance, whether real or imagined, to the police sketch.

Among the most traumatized of this brotherhood of the misidentified has been Ray Jimboy, 30, a fry cook from this dusty speck of a town 69 miles east of Oklahoma City that was the birthplace of the folk singer Woody Guthrie.

Mr. Jimboy suffered a double stigma. He not only resembled John Doe No. 2 but had also known Mr. McVeigh in the Army.

So, when the investigation rumbled into Okemah, it certainly seemed as if something promising awaited. A central focus of the manhunt has been members of Mr. McVeigh's Army regiment in Fort Riley, Kan.

Among other things, the FBI has inspected photographs of men who served in that unit. Investigators were indeed interested when a unit picture of Mr. Jimboy bore a striking resemblance to the police sketch.

Thus it was that a week ago Friday, Mr. Jimboy was cooking food at the K Bar Truck Stop in Okemah. He had left his previous job only a week before at the Black Goat Cafe for better pay at the K Bar.

Around 9 p.m., when orders were coming in steadily, he said, his boss tapped him on the shoulder and said she needed him to come to the office to fill out a tax form. When he got there, two dark-suited FBI agents were waiting.

The agents spent hours grilling him, checking him for tattoos (he has none) and snapping pictures.

Ultimately, two fellow agents ushered him to Oklahoma City at 4 a.m. for a polygraph test. He does have a square jaw and dark hair like the man in the sketch, but his hair is parted on the side and flops down over his left eye. John Doe No. 2 has his hair brushed straight back.

The FBI determined that Mr. Jimboy was working the day that the Ryder truck that apparently bore the bomb was rented in Junction City, Kan. Mr. Jimboy said the agents told him he had passed the polygraph test.

They dropped him off at his home about 9 a.m. -- 12 hours and no sleep later -- and thanked him for his cooperation.

When Mr. Jimboy reported to work at the K Bar the next day, he was greeted with the news that someone had been hired to replace him. Sondra Smock, the manager of the truck stop, said in an interview that Mr. Jimboy just had not worked out and she did not know anything about the FBI.

Now Mr. Jimboy is walking the streets of Okemah looking for another kitchen to work in.

"I'm pretty mad," he said. "This is a small town, and things are a little tight. I can't find anything."

Other John Doe No. 2 look-alikes have not suffered such indignities. But, these days, it is not a good face to have.

Early yesterday morning, the police in Santa Monica said the FBI was questioning a 24-year-old Oklahoma man who had been held on suspicion of auto theft. He, too, closely resembled the suspect, and had a tattoo of the right kind in the right place on the upper arm.

But they also said that he had longer hair, was thinner and had tattoos all over his body. Eventually, the FBI said he was not their man.

On Monday alone, three men were questioned, including Scott Sweely, 32, of Del City, Okla., who had the bad fortune to be driving his 1973 BMW through Georgia with Oklahoma license plates.

He was pulled over by a sheriff's deputy who ordered him to crawl out through his driver's side window and lie face down on the roadside, where he was handcuffed and taken back to headquarters in Valdosta, Ga., for questioning.

It seems that several motorists had spied Mr. Sweely's Oklahoma plates and alerted the police, who in turn notified the FBI in Atlanta.

By the time he was stopped, police departments all over Georgia had been alerted to his presence. Only after four hours of questioning by the FBI was Mr. Sweely allowed back on the road to Florida.

"He was real cooperative," Sheriff Ashley Paulk said of Mr. Sweely. "I've seen people with a traffic ticket that had a worse attitude."

Last Sunday, an Army deserter from Fort Riley named David Iniguez was picked up in San Bernardino, Calif. He looked vaguely like the sketch.

When he was marched into court in Los Angeles on unrelated charges, his arms were handcuffed behind his back and he was engulfed by a half-dozen FBI agents. Everyone calmed down when he turned out to be suspected only of being an Army deserter. He was turned over to the military.

Meanwhile, Ray Jimboy is a little concerned about his finances, which were shaky even before he attracted the interest of the FBI.

After losing his job, Mr. Jimboy checked about his old position at the Black Goat, but the owner said there was nothing available right now, which is also the word at every other restaurant he has contacted.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad