Use Code BALT69 for a $69 Ticket to One Day University on July 9

Lost $15,000 bracelet is returned


Robin Marie Williams' $15,000 bracelet -- a diamond-studded engagement gift from her fiance -- disappeared two weeks ago as she left the Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. Courthouse after serving jury duty.

It was lost forever, she thought.

But today, Ms. Williams and her bracelet were reunited -- this time forever, she said -- after phone calls from a man who said he had "something you may have lost."

"This is so unbelieveable," Ms. Williams, 34, said hours before the bracelet was brought to her Harbor Court apartment by Ahmet Hisim, a prosecutor at the courthouse.

On April 13, Ms. Williams, who works for a Bethesda ad agency, wore the bracelet adorned with 39 diamonds for the first time when she reported for jury duty. She usually doesn't dress so formally for such an occasion, she said, but she had an engagement the night before and hadn't been able to put the bracelet in her vault.

Throughout the day, she checked her wrist to ensure that the bracelet was still there. But when she checked shortly after leaving the courthouse, it was gone.

"I was devastated. I just freaked out," she said, adding that her fiance had given the bracelet to her in June as a birthday present. "When I told him, he was very upset."

She immediately reported the loss to the city police and the courthouse sheriff's office, but held little hope that the bracelet would be returned.

"The police officer was great," she said. "He insisted it would be turned in."

Until Monday, she heard nothing of the bracelet's whereabouts.

But on the same day Ms. Williams served on jury duty, Mr. Hisim noticed a glitter on the bottom step at the courthouse's St. Paul Street door, as he left for the day.

"At my feet, I found a very beautiful bracelet," said Mr. Hisim, an assistant state's attorney in the homicide unit. "My wife thought it was fake, I knew it was real. I was hoping to get a Harley out of it.

"But my first response was, 'I know how I'd feel if I lost it.' "

He asked around the courthouse the next couple of days, to see if anyone had lost the bracelet. No luck. On Monday, he checked with the sheriff's office to see if anyone had reported the bracelet missing.

"I knew how long it takes for police to process reports," he said. "So I waited until I thought it had been processed."

The sheriff's office gave him a copy of Ms. Williams' report, and he called her at work and at home, leaving messages with only a hint of the bracelet's description and his phone number.

However, she didn't immediately call back. "I didn't know what to make of it at first," she said.

Mr. Hisim, being persistent, called the next day. This time, he spoke to her.

He asked what she had lost; she told him. He asked where she'd lost it; she told him. He asked her to describe it; she did, down to each of the sparkling diamonds.

"She described it real well and I knew it was hers," Mr. Hisim said. "But I don't know why someone would wear a $15,000 bracelet to court."

Ms. Williams says she'll be more careful.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad