A fire caused by an exploding coffee pot gutted an apartment in a downtown high-rise building yesterday. The fire also injured two women and caused an estimated $60,000 in damage, fire officials said.
The fire broke out about 9:45 a.m. in a second-floor apartment at the nine-story Christ Church Harbor Apartments in the 600 block of Light St.
Only one floor of the building, which has many elderly residents, was evacuated.
Firefighters carried Katherine McElfish, 44, and Jean Frome, 69, from the second floor.
Both women suffered smoke inhalation and were treated at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.
The woman who lived in the apartment where the fire started was not injured.