Two dead in shootings along Monroe Street corridor


Two shootings claimed the lives of a teen-ager and a man yesterday in West Baltimore, and the unrelated slayings about a half-hour apart kept police busy along the Monroe Street corridor.

About 3:15 p.m., officers rushed to the 1800 block of W. Lanvale St., where they found the body of Leonard Tyler, 17, of the 1900 block of McCulloh St. in an alley across from a playground. Twenty minutes later, they arrested a 19-year-old suspect 10 blocks away.

At 3:50 p.m., officers responding to another shooting in the 1900 block of W. North Ave. found the body of Jarran Foster, 30, of the first block of Stonemark Court in Owings Mills.

Mr. Foster had been visiting his young daughter and was standing outside the house where she lives when four men approached and two opened fire. Police said they knew of no motive or suspects in his slaying.

In the earlier incident, police said the shooting was sparked by a fight between the Tyler youth and a man on West Lanvale at Kirby street.

During the fight, a man pulled out a semiautomatic handgun and shot the unarmed Tyler youthseveral times, said homicide Detective Darryl Massey. The detective said the victim collapsed in the alley.

The gunman ran to Monroe Street, where he eluded police before he was spotted by the crew of a police helicopter. After a brief chase, the suspect, who police later identified as Luther H. Braxton III of the 1100 block of N. Monroe St., was arrested in the 1800 block of N. Fulton Ave. Mr. Braxton was charged last night with first-degree murder.

Police said that a few days ago, the suspect and young Tyler had fought over a woman.

At the scene of the shooting, police recovered at least nine bullet casings on the street but did not find a weapon.

Many neighborhood residents simply shook their heads as they watched detectives at work at the chaotic scene, which drew dozens of police cars and officers.

"Two nights ago, they just started shooting where I was standing," said Annette Williams, 23, who lives two blocks away on Kirby Street. "I just froze right there. I was scared."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad