Freshman attackman Casey Powell scored with 26 seconds remaining to break the 11th tie of the game and lift No. 4 Syracuse past No. 18 Hobart, 18-17, yesterday before 2,500 at Boswell Field.
Powell's fourth goal gave the Orangemen (6-2) their ninth straight win over the Statesmen (4-3) and coach Roy Simmons Jr. his 250th career victory.
Hobart had tied the game at 17 on Josh Kenney's fourth goal with just 58 seconds left. Trailing 7-3 with 10:10 left in the second quarter, Syracuse scored five goals in six minutes to tie the game at 8.
* Brown 13, Harvard 5: Brian McNally tied a career best by scoring four goals and added four assists to help No. 11 Brown (4-4) over No. 16 Harvard (4-3) in Cambridge, Mass.
* Massachusetts 19, New Hampshire 5: Brendan Glass scored all five goals in a 12-minute span of the third quarter to lead No. 10 Massachusetts (3-2) past host New Hampshire (3-6).
* Goucher College 10, Villa Julie 9: Tavis Cheatham scored the winning goal, 1:30 into overtime, to push Goucher (5-6) over host Villa Julie (4-4).
* Gettysburg 30, Western Maryland 12: Dave Curry scored six goals and Noah Davis five, and Division III second-ranked Gettysburg (8-1, 2-0) rolled past Western Maryland (5-4, 1-1) in a Centennial Conference game.
* Washington & Lee 13, St. Mary's 12: Andy Dutton and Ande Jenkins each scored four goals to help Washington & Lee (8-2) edge host St. Mary's (7-1).