Towson wins 50th straight


Hereford's attempt to deny No. 8 Towson of its 50th straight victory last night fell way short.

The previously unbeaten and home-standing Bulls scored first, but the three-time defending state champion Generals had the final say, scoring eight unanswered goals in the second half en route to a 14-3 victory.

Junior attackman Chris Brown, who wasn't even in high school when Towson lost its last game to Mount Hebron in the region finals in 1992, led the way for the Generals with six goals and senior attackman Dan Keller added two goals and five assists.

"Our offense tonight was like an oiled machine," said Towson coach Dase. "It was a shooting gallery. We struggled for awhile or it could have been 24 or 34 [goals].

"My kids don't feel like they get enough respect a lot of times and they said, 'we'll show them tonight,' and this is the first night I saw fire in their eyes to play lacrosse."

The Generals (6-0) outshot Hereford 16-1 in the first quarter, but led only 2-1. Keller, who had a hand in Towson's first four goals, scored unassisted and then fed Brown to put the Generals up 4-1 with 7:41 left in the first half.

Brown scored on a feed from Martin to give Towson a four-goal lead, but Hereford's Brian Nabet scored on an assist from Shawn Beck with 35 seconds left to make it 6-3 at the half.

The Generals scored four straight in the third quarter, including a long-stick goal by junior defenseman Chris Kadan, who earlier assisted Keller.

Brown improved his stats in the fourth quarter as he scored on assists from Keller and senior defenseman Ian Kanski.

Jaime Sims scored one of his two goals in the fourth and Kanski closed out the scoring with yet another long-stick goal.

"They out-played us. They were a better team," said Hereford coach Whit Morrill. "We had to do a better job of dealing with their pressure defense, which is excellent. We sort of got away from some things we do."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad