Maryland leaves Navy gasping for air, 19-11


In Sunday's editions, Matt Hahn of the University of Maryland lacrosse team was identified incorrectly in a photo caption.

The Sun regrets the errors.

A week of worries ended in 15 minutes for the Maryland lacrosse team yesterday.

That was long enough for the Terps to take 11 shots and attackman Rob Chomo to score three goals. And for fellow attackman Matt Hahn to score two. And for Terps midfielder Kip Fulks and attackman Andrew Whipple to each have two assists. And . . .

You get the picture.

Final score: Maryland 19, Navy 11, yesterday before 4,126 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis.

Third-ranked Maryland (7-1) jumped to an 8-1 first-period leaand easily routed the No. 12 Midshipmen (5-3), who must put together a winning streak down the stretch if they are to have any postseason aspirations.

Next up for Maryland is No. 1 Johns Hopkins in College Park on Saturday. The Blue Jays (7-0), a 23-8 winner against Army yesterday, had Terps coach Dick Edell concerned a week in advance.

"Every year brings a different team, and I was concerned coming off that first loss," said Edell, alluding to the Terps' last-minute 12-11 loss to Virginia last Saturday. "We have Hopkins coming to town next Saturday, and that's like Penn State coming to the campus for football or North Carolina coming in for basketball. I wanted us to play hard for the entire 60 minutes."

Maybe Navy coach Richie Meade should have worried as much.

Navy, coming off a 13-11 win over Army last week, played with little emotion and savvy. The Mids once had too many men on the field. Twice they shot without anyone behind the cage. They even allowed a goal with a two-man advantage in the second quarter.

But those were the least of Navy's problems. The biggest was finding a defense that could stop Chomo (a career-high six goals), Hahn (three), Fulks (three) and Greg Nelin (two).

"We were not ready to play at that level, and that's my responsibility," said Meade.

Wait a minute. Isn't this No. 3 Maryland? Wasn't this the 75th meeting between the schools?

"I can't explain it, I thought we were ready, that we had that sense of urgency," said Meade. "Maryland played a very, very good game, and they got that big lead that took something out of us. We tried to use a 10-man ride, and they threw a couple of long passes for easy goals. We just weren't prepared."

Maryland scored 46 seconds into the game when Nelin scored on a low bouncer past goalie Garrett Luebker. Then midfielder Todd Evans blew by defender Matt Pfeffer for a goal nearly a minute later, and Chomo scored his first goal with 10:55 left in the quarter for a 3-0 Maryland lead.

The omen for Navy came when Fulks beat a Navy substitute out of the penalty box and easily scored for a 4-0 lead with 8:50 remaining. Navy midfielder Andy Ross scored to halt the Maryland surge with 7:35 left, but Maryland had three goals in the remaining time, two on low shots.

Meade brought in goalie Timothy Fox to start the second period, but to no avail. Navy's defenders couldn't handle Maryland's attackmen, who were shooting from point blank range from the top of the crease.

"It was nice to have an 8-1 lead, but I was still concerned about where we were going," said Edell. "But the kids showed a lot of character and we maintained the pace. It gave us a chance to use a lot of substitutes and keep everybody fresh."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad