Norma Fields Furst Memorial service


Bowen K. Jackson

NAACP official

Bowen Keiffer Jackson, a former official of the Baltimore branch of the NAACP, died Friday at his North Baltimore home after a lengthy illness. He was 70.

Known to family and friends as "Bo" or "Bo Jack," he was the son of the late Keiffer Albert Jackson and Dr. Lillie May Jackson. His mother was for many years president of the Baltimore branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and he was "raised in the NAACP," according to relatives.

As an infant, Mr. Jackson was entered in a beautiful baby contest sponsored by the civil rights organization and as a boy walked picket lines while his parents and other NAACP members protested segregated seating at Ford's Theatre in Baltimore and a lynching on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Mr. Jackson, a Baltimore native, graduated from Booker T. Washington Junior High School and Douglass High School, then served in the Army during World War II.

He graduated from what was then Morgan State College in 1949 and worked for the U.S. Postal Service until he joined the Baltimore branch of the NAACP as executive director in 1952.

That year, he spearheaded an effort that saw the local branch lead the organization's national membership drive.

Mr. Jackson left the NAACP in 1958 and the next year moved to California, where he went into the real estate business. He returned to Baltimore in 1970 and worked in real estate until he retired in 1984.

A sister, the late Juanita Jackson Mitchell, was the first black woman to practice law in Maryland. Her husband was the late Clarence M. Mitchell Jr., longtime Washington lobbyist for the NAACP.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church, Dolphin and Etting streets in West Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife, Sarah; a son, Darryl Jackson of Baltimore; a sister, Virginia Jackson Kiah of Savannah, Ga.; and many grandchildren. William H. Hoffman, a retired lawyer for Baltimore City government, died Monday of an apparent heart attack at his home in Park Place Apartments in Northwest Baltimore. He was 61.

Mr. Hoffman retired in 1986 as chief solicitor in the real estate section in the Office of Law. He went to work for the city solicitor's office in 1959.

He also had a private practice in real estate and commercial law.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1950 graduate of City College, a 1954 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and a 1957 graduate of the University of Maryland law school.

He was a member of Beth Tfiloh Congregation and a member of and fund-raiser for B'Nai Israel Congregation.

Services for Mr. Hoffman were to be held at 11 a.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros., 6010 Reisterstown Road.

He is survived by a sister, Cindy M. Hoffman of Fort Bragg, Calif.; and his stepmother, Angela "Jackie" Hoffman of Baltimore.

C. Thomas Morse

Retired policeman

C. Thomas Morse, who spent much of a 28-year police career working in Baltimore's Central District before retiring in 1969, died Saturday of heart failure at Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury. He was 80.

Mr. Morse had lived in Ocean City for the past 16 years and was fond of boating and fishing on Sinepuxent Bay. The Baltimore native, who attended Calvert Hall College, served in the Navy during World War II.

He was a life member of the Disabled American Veterans and belonged to the Sinepuxent post of the American Legion and the Ocean City Memorial Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Mary Star of the Sea Roman Catholic Church, 1419 Riverside Ave. in South Baltimore.

Mr. Morse is survived by his wife, the former Dorothy Cascio, two nephews; and a niece.

Della Joyner


Della Joyner, a retired seamstress, died Monday at her West Baltimore home after a heart attack. She was 53.

Mrs. Joyner retired more than 10 years ago from Max Rubin Industries because of heart disease. She moved to Baltimore in the early 1960s from Kannapolis, N.C., where she had worked in the Cannon Mills textile factory.

She was born Della Merritt in Kannapolis and graduated from George Washington Carver High School there. She was a board member and treasurer of the Poppleton Cooperative, and a member of the Potomac Association of Housing Cooperatives and the Baltimore chapter of the George Washington Carver Alumni Association.

She was a member of Shiloh Christian Community Church, 2500 W. Lombard St., where services will be held at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow.

She is survived by a daughter, Wendy Leak of Baltimore; a son, Air Force Maj. Fernando Merritt of Japan; her mother, Mayo Merritt of Baltimore; her father, Cesar Merritt of Kannapolis; two brothers, John Merritt of Randallstown and Sam Merritt of Baltimore; two sisters, Similler Green of Baltimore and Patricia Little of Augusta, Ga.; and three grandchildren. A memorial service for Dr. Norma Fields Furst, president of Baltimore Hebrew University since 1992, was to be held at 7:30 p.m. today at the university, 5800 Park Heights Ave.

She died March 7 of lung cancer at her Wynnewood, Pa., home.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad